Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a BMW E30

Options
  • 04-07-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭

I would like to get an E30 saloon. Preference would be the 325 in manual. I would also consider the right 4 cylinder model. I have read that only the later 4 cylinder models are worth considering as they changed the engine. Any thoughts on this?

Currently looking in the UK, carandclassic and autotrader. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Does anyone have an idea of how much a solid/reliable one should be going for? There seems to be a huge range in prices, from a couple of grand to 25k.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e30-3-series-82-94/bmw-e30-3-series-325i-se--1-owner-unbelievable-service-history/5603661?v=c

Price wise like anything good ones cost good money. Cheap ones will either be project cars or money pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thanks Bazz, I'v been looking for a few days properly now and yeah, been on Pistonheads too, forgot to say. You had my attention there big time with that link, exactly what I am looking for, until I saw the gearbox....that one would be perfect if it was manual.

Is spending 8-10 sterling on one of these madness though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I can't remember which show it was on last year but they were saying how that model was going up in price as they were so sought after at the moment. The more stock the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No real idea on their values as I'm no expert on them but I'd imagine as they get older and rarer their values only get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is spending 8-10 sterling on one of these madness though?
    The price may be OK if it goes with the condition of the car, but you are not going to know how much VRT is due until you buy it and bring it in for the VRT inspection.

They are on the VRT calculator so would have a fair idea, it's not gonna be mega money anyway as its an old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Was the 320 a six cylinder in the e30?
    Remember trying to convince my dad to buy one of these in the 80's.
    Have you looked at Munich legends.co.uk ? Usually gorgeous stock of old beemers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

320i is 6 cylinder, M20 Engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I had an E30 318is, probably the later 4 cylinder engine you were referring to in the first post (it's the best 4 cylinder E30 after the M3).
    It's a high revving DOHC engine with 136bhp and no traction control... It was a lot of fun!
    I presume you've found e30owners by now?
    Rust is the biggest problem with cars of this age, scuttle panel, rear wheel arches, under the battery tray, around the sunroof, in the boot where the sunroof drains can get blocked, around the boot lock and finally, around the rear tow hook are the areas that I can think of that are prone to rusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

www.oldcolonelcars.co.uk e30 are his speciality getting expensive now this one has only 41000miles £8995..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

They are on the VRT calculator so would have a fair idea, it's not gonna be mega money anyway as its an old car.

E30 325i Sports are over €1600 to VRT. I'd call that mega money :eek:

You'd want your head looked at it if you paid £8k+ for a 4 door E30. Don't bother with a 4 pot saloon if you want any sort of reasonable performance. The only one worth it's salt is the 318iS which was 2 door only.

Good luck and watch out for rust. Everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I have some experience of direct comparison between an E30 6 cylinder M-Tech 320i and a 318is having covered a lot of miles in both cars during the very early nineties.

While the 6 cylinder is super smooth I preferred the driving characteristics of the 4 cylinder it was better balanced almost more nimble

Thanks for the input so far. Funny the more reading I do the more I am swaying to the 318is. Was that dohc engine also in the 318 saloon after 1989?

This has caught my eye but he does mention rust and the dash is cracked. Looks good otherwise.

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C757492

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The 318is was only available in the 2 door coupe here; it was in the saloon in 'murica.

The earlier m10 engined cars (4 cylinder) are a lot hardier than the m40 engined cars. The m40 engine was introduced about 1989/1990 but suffers badly from camshaft wear if any neglect is shown to oil changes. The 6 cylinder engines suffer from cracked heads and give symptoms similiar to a failed head gasket if gone.

Rust is the biggest problem though, as you can do most mechanical jobs with simple tools. If you go to look at one, especially for big money, make sure you look over every square millimetre for rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buddy bought 325i a few years back paid top money at the time and received top rust. Footwells and worse around the front windscreen and drainage panels.

Get your specs about and be prepared for metal work...

Yeah sounds like the same story with anything of that vintage. Bought a classic camper years ago and advice was the exact same, rust is the biggest worry. We got a great one back then that served us well so hopefully I can get as good an e30.

They tend to be a lot cheaper here than the UK but takes a while to find a good one. That 318iS you just posted would struggle to make €4500 here.

Having looked at some uk sites now they seem very dear over there.
    Would you use this every day or occasional use?
    You won't cover ground as quick as you do in the golf R!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,001 ✭✭✭✭unkel

10k sterling is very strong money. I'd nearly expect an M3 for that...

• Advertisement

Could do with more pictures but looks reasonable to me. I'd like the 15" BBSs on it but other than that it has nice few bits. It would be a quick little car with the 4.1 diff too.

Lot cheaper than some of the stuff I've seen since you posted originally.
    Are you looking for a project though?
    Could be fun thing to do/ own if you have time.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Lot cheaper than some of the stuff I've seen since you posted originally.
    Are you looking for a project though?
    Could be fun thing to do/ own if you have time.

Every E30 is a project :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

That's mine, were you talking to me on the phone about it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

320i on the logbook! :eek:

320i on the logbook! :eek:

Because it is a 320i and always will be

If you want to change the capacity to 2500cc and the engine number it's a simple job. No big deal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

millington wrote: »
    Because it is a 320i and always will be

If you want to change the capacity to 2500cc and the engine number it's a simple job. No big deal.

Sounds like a motor tax dodge though.

Sounds like a motor tax dodge though.

Considering the car isn't taxed at all then I doubt it :D

Anyway I'd leave it 2.0 but very easy to change it to 2.5

• Advertisement

So do you pay tax on a 2.5 litre so?
    If not than surely it is a tax dodge?

Advertisement