Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you have craic going on holiday alone

Options
  • 04-07-2016 6:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

working for the rest of the summer in spain but I am going to be in Madrid for 5 days on my own, can you have fun? How to not come across as the weirdo with no mates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Are you a weirdo with no mates ?

Yes= then Yes..

No = then no..

You know yourself if you are the type that can travel alone..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I'd be down to get hammered and head out but I don't know if other people will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I went to Spain on my own for 4 nights last summer and I had a great time. It does depend on the type of person you are, I didn't care that I was on my own going into restaurants but it might bother some people. I did drink very moderately outside the hotel, was aware that there was nobody to watch out for me if I was tipsy or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Mec27 wrote: »
    I'd be down to get hammered and head out but I don't know if other people will be.

What other people ? are you taking hostages ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Stay in hostels(match your age group), great places for meeting new people in the evenings especially in the summer time as everyone hangs around before food and heading out. We used to always have a few people latch onto our group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Solo travel is extremely common....no one is going to think you are a friendless weirdo just coz you don't have a travel companion!
    In fact, being on your own forces you to be more social with the locals which is a good thing, as long as you are sensible and mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Check out hostels on hostel world and look at the reviews. A lot of hostels organise bar crawls and have bars onsite. The reviews will tell you if it is a party hostel or a quieter one.

Loads of people travel solo, even people who start travelling together will split up and then meet up in another city so they can spend time doing what they want. Go for it you will have a fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've done a couple of solo trips all be it a few years ago now. I also travel for work alone and you kind of have to have it in you or at least develop that personality where you are open to chat to people when you are out... so no sitting at a bar with your head in a book or whatever...

Madrid is a very friendly, vibrant, safe and cultured city so I think if anywhere you should be good to go... you don't really need somone else anyway when you are out sightseeing during the day and at night.. just go out and be yourself.. normally a few people take pity on the lonesome solo traveller and will invite you into conversation... or you might bump into another solo one... of the opposite sex and maybe quite good looking... if you are into that sort of thing that is...

Either way just go, have a good time, lots to see and do in Madrid and don't worry about your self or anyone else's opinion for that matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Stay in hostels(match your age group), great places for meeting new people in the evenings especially in the summer time as everyone hangs around before food and heading out. We used to always have a few people latch onto our group

Massive +1 on this. Stay in Sungate One hostel (rated 3rd best small hostel worldwide this year) if you're going to Madrid. Communal dinners and activities every night followed by a pub crawl. You can't go wrong. You'll meet plenty of solo travelers in the same boat.

Advertisement