Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto pop red battery light (is charging)

Options
  • 04-07-2016 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Bought a 2013 Fiat punto pop about a month ago. Service history had an issue linked to an alternator problem but it was replaced with new before we bought

Had an insurance technician at the car and when he turned it on the red battery light came on and didnt turn off as it should. He checked and said the battery is charging.

I was driving it yesterday and just remembered that at first it wouldn't let me turn on....ie the key was locked in position and would not turn any direction. I took the key out and tried again a couple of times and then it worked. There was a slight hesitancy but it turned on and no problems...until this light today.

Any ideas on what the light problem is and would it be linked to what happened yesterday? The red battery light didn't show yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Sounds like failing brushes to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Tried it again just now. The key wouldn't turn, for a longer period of time (almost 5 minutes). It's like the car isn't recognising the key. But then it will work and the red battery light did not show this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Key not turning in the ignition; do you relieve the pressure off the wheel when turning the key?

Or is it sticking/jamming/feel gritty when turning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I don't touch the wheel when turning on. The key would not give when trying to turn it.
    It was fine again a few minutes ago but the red light is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

You need to 'wiggle' the steering wheel in order for the key to turn. I don't see the connection with the battery light. The alternator may have been fixed/repaired but not reconditioned when you bought it and is now failing again. You'll know in a day or two when your battery goes flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Some of those later Grande Punto / Punto Evo types use a very specific alternator, and unless it is replaced with one that's the exact type / manufacturer, you can get spurious warnings that there is no charge, even though the alternator is working. There is a possibility that a software update could be applied to the ECU to overcome this but being a 2013 car, I'd say this is unlikely in this case. So I'm wondering if the correct alternator was fitted during the last repair?

Advertisement