Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible?

Options
  • 04-07-2016 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Guys,
    Is this posible, if in 123 company have Owner and 2nd driver on 1 policy, and 2nd driver can take new car for full insurance in other company and add a 2nd driver?

Because dont want to pay expensive insurance?

Thanks Edgars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes but the 2nd driver may not get any no claims bonus benefit for their own policy for the time they were a named driver, depends on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Defl3kt

Yes but the 2nd driver may not get any no claims bonus benefit for their own policy for the time they were a named driver, depends on the company.

So i can try like that.
    But if i have car in 123 company and have 2nd driver, i can take one more car and add other 2nd driver to that car? Or need to be the 1st 2nd driver?

I am confused with this Ireland insurance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't really understand what you are asking, do these 3 different scenarios make any sense?
    • Mr X has a policy with Ms Y as 2nd driver this costs €600 a year as Mr X has 5 years no claims.
    • Mr X has buys another policy on a 2nd car, this costs €2k for a year as it's a new policy with no no claims bonus as his no claims bonus is being used on his first policy on the other car.
    • Ms Y buys a car and takes out her own policy and this costs €2k for a year as Ms Y has no no claims bonus.

I don't really understand what you are asking, do these 3 different scenarios make any sense?
    • Mr X has a policy with Ms Y as 2nd driver this costs €600 a year as Mr X has 5 years no claims.
    • Mr X has buys another policy on a 2nd car, this costs €2k for a year as it's a new policy with no no claims bonus as his no claims bonus is being used on his first policy on the other car.
    • Ms Y buys a car and takes out her own policy and this costs €2k for a year as Ms Y has no no claims bonus.

I get it.

Thanks. And sorry for my English.

But MS Y can drive more with a MR X car? If MS Y will open new policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Defl3kt wrote: »

Yes, she can. MS Y is a named driver on the first policy, isn't she?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Defl3kt wrote: »

Most policy's in Ireland offer a 'third party extension' which allows you to drive another car, on a third party basis, as long as that car is not owned by you and sometimes with other conditions e.g. The car has an NCT, is roadworthy and is below a certain engine size. Some policy's improve this extension and give you comprehensive cover on other cars (The AA is one) Note carefully, this is different from the policy you take out e.g. You may have a comprehensive policy on your car but only Third Party cover on any other car you drive.

This cover is generally only offered to the policy holder e.g. Mr. X who owns the car and is the main holder of the policy. It does not apply to Ms. Y who is named on the policy.

Advertisement