Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Based Satin Wood Exterior

Options
  • 04-07-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We had to put up scaffolding recently to replace a dormer window and I thought i'd also take this opportunity to paint around the window and paint the guttering, facia etc. I went to B&Q and asked for a Satinwood in the chosen colour and i was given Valspar Waterbased Satinwood along with a a primer. The gutters and facia were previously painted with an oil based paint. I painted on the primer anyway followed by the actual paint.

When the whole thing was finished after a whole month of working on it every evening after work I came across an article which warned to stay away from water based satinwood as it was useless. You can imagine my heart, it literally dropped and I think I stopped breathing for a minute.

I am now worried that what I have done was pointless and I've read that you can't paint oil based over water based so if I decided to go over the whole thing I'd need to first remove all of the water based??? Is this correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the scaffolding is coming down in a week and I am not prepared to pay another 2K for scaffolding in a hurry!

Please help!

Advertisement