Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are EU to UK plug adapters safe to use 550w power supply?

Options
  • 04-07-2016 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'll be buying most of my components for my upcoming gaming rig from Mindfactory, who obviously don't sell PSUs with UK plugs. The PSU I have in mind is the Seasonic 80+ Gold 550W semi-modular G series. It's currently about €20 cheaper than it is on Amazon.co.uk.

My question is probably a little stupid since I'm far from an electrical engineer, but are cheap £3-£5 EU to UK plug adapters okay to use with such a beefy power supply? Does it detract from the efficiency of the 80+ Gold rating at all? Is their anything I should watch out for when buying one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just buy a lead here for a couple of euro, will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Standard kettle lead + 5A fuse, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The adapters don't "do" anything so whatever will work. Its just connecting pin to pin. A new kettle lead is usually a cleaner option though, less likely to be kicked or pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

Thanks lads, I was actually under the impression that since it was semi modular, the power lead was one of the cables that was non-removable. Very clearly not the case from images. Newbie mistake!

Advertisement