Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plz advise how to find Gt Gt Grandfathers Baptismal Record born Ireland 1848

Options
  • 04-07-2016 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all

I am having great difficulty in finding my Gt Gt Grandfathers baptismal record. He was born 1848 in Ireland but I do not know where in Ireland. I was hoping his marriage certificate would say where in Ireland he was born but it didn't. I know he married in a Protestant church, a free church and he was a Ploughman and his father was a farmer.

I have obviously his Marriage Certificate and his sons birth certificate (my Gt Grandfather) and his Sons Birth Certificate (my grandfathers).

I have also the census for my Gr Gr Grandfather 1881 and he is 33 on that and all that says is he was born in Ireland. He obviously moved to Scotland as the census is from Scotland and also his father my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather was born in Scotland. So for some reason my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather must have moved to Ireland for a short time for some reason which is why his son was born in Ireland and then they moved back to Scotland. I dont know the profession of my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather.

Hoping someone can give me some advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What's your great great grandfathers name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3 imlooking

Do you think you maybe able to help in locating his Baptismal certificate?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He was born in either Tullaghobegly or Killybegs in Ireland in 1848. [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]he may have been Presbyterian or Church of Ireland.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The place of birth given on his 1911 census return was Tullybegg this was either the Town of Killybeggs or could also have been the parish of Tullaghobegly. There were also a number of townlands called Tully Beg in Co. Donegal in the civil parishes of Clonca, Gartan, Inishkeel and Tullyfern. However, the most common address given in the census was a parish and county of birth.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is most likely that he was born in either Tullaghobegly or Killybegs.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also marriage proof of his parents who married in 1833 in Ireland too would be good.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mulesmarinair

Have you tried the Scotland's People website? It's quite a powerful resource

• Registered Users Posts: 3 imlooking

Not yet but as his baptismal was in Ireland and he was born in Ireland and his parents married in Ireland I didnt know Scotland Peoples website could help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Transcripts of baptisms for Tullaghobegley CofI back to 1821 are included on RootsIreland (Pay-website), they also have transcripts for Killybegs Upper CofI back to 1809 and for a number of Presbyterian congregations in Co. Donegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement