Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired EU National identity card/No passport

Options
  • 03-07-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Just was wondering if anyone had any information on whether or not id be able to go on a flight planned for the 11th of July. I was super silly and trusted myself that my national identity card was in date. Obviously to my luck it ran out on the 26th of June 2016. so now i am wondering what are my options. I'm going to try and apply for a first time Irish passport but it seems the wait is 13 days. is there a possibility that i could travel with my identity card still? my route is Dublin to Stanstead, Stanstead to Castellon with Ryanair.

Thanks in advance if you have any helpful info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You might be able to get to England with a driving license but I'm unsure whether or not Ryanair accept this.

You will not be able to travel to Spain without a valid passport.

I don't think there's a fast track system in place for first time applicants unless there's an emergency and, due to the time of year and the Brexit, waiting times for first time applicants is 19 working days according to the website which is over three weeks. I don't think you'll be travelling to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

jonnyyt04 wrote: »
    Hi Just was wondering if anyone had any information on whether or not id be able to go on a flight planned for the 11th of July. I was super silly and trusted myself that my national identity card was in date. Obviously to my luck it ran out on the 26th of June 2016. so now i am wondering what are my options. I'm going to try and apply for a first time Irish passport but it seems the wait is 13 days. is there a possibility that i could travel with my identity card still? my route is Dublin to Stanstead, Stanstead to Castellon with Ryanair.

Thanks in advance if you have any helpful info

Are you Irish citizen?

If not, you are not going anywhere, unfortunately.

You won't be able to check in with expired documents.

As an Irish citizen you can go as far as UK using your driving license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ryanair don't accept drivers licences or expired cards/passports. And despite what the forms say, I would allow 6 weeks minimum for a first time Irish passport. So unless you can renew your identity card, there's next to no chance I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

within certain countries of Europe there are arrangements that people can travel with an expired ID card or passport
    Its all fairly complicated, the UK and Ireland isn't part of the scheme
    see here which country's documents are considered valid within the group of signatory countries, even if they are expired :
    https://rm.coe.int/CoERMPublicCommonSearchServices/DisplayDCTMContent?documentId=0900001680630900
    and more info here :
    http://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/025

So, it may work out that you can go from Ireland to your home country (as you would be allowed to leave Ireland on a recently expired document) and then from there to Spain on the expired document, but going via the UK might not be the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If your country has an embassy in Dublin you might be able to get a provisional ID there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

You can go to the passport office and q before 9AM Monday to Friday. I'm getting a first time passport for a new born in 7 days having done this.

You pay more and they need a minimum of 3 days to print the passport so you have a chance if you have all of your required documentation

Ask them on twitter, they're responsive and will confirm if your particular situation is manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are you sure you are an irish citizen and entitled to an irish passport (i.e. are you born in Ireland / abroad to irish parents?).
    if not you will have to apply for it (proove residency, examine financial status, consult with immigration bureau, check with guards to see if youre of good character) which is not something that happens in a week.

Advertisement