Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE fail

Options
  • 03-07-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

what is the most silly thing you failed the DOE or the most expensive to fix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

making a balls of changing a head light bulb and having to go back, lucky it was a free retest at the time

Brake imbalance, rear shoes, I put too much copper anti-cease on the wheel bolts (German; not studs).
    Grease flew off the bolts threaded into the drum and coated the shoes in schlick and polished the drums.

Found mess before test, cleaned the innards, with an air compressor, rag and brake cleaner; Failed!

Bled the cylinder, rebalanced the adjusters, more brake cleaner, more rag, more compressed air, squared tyre pressure. Failed! Weak wheel still weak.

Wound up the adjuster on the weak wheel in excess of the stiction of the better. Failed!

Dismantled the entire mechanism. Cleaned the inside of the drum with a knotted wheel, sanded the drum race with a 60 grit flappy wheel, sanded the pads with a flappy wheel, ground the backing plate with a knotted wheel, more brake cleaner more compressed air, lightly lubricated the shoe slide bosses, reassembled, then did the same for the other side. Rebalanced adjusters, over tightened the weak wheel, slackened the good. Pass!

Two days later I finished adjusting one of the shoe sets down because it was heating the drum.

Top tip; make friends with the mechanic with the rolling road...I was only charged for one retest. :)

Advertisement