Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea kitchen and appliances

Options
  • 03-07-2016 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm putting together a budget for a new kitchen for a renovated small house.

I need to buy all of the worktops and cabinets, as well as appliances including oven and hob, washing machine, fridge-freezer etc.

The quality and price of Ikea kitchens seem ideal for me. I like that they can help with planning and design, and offer delivery and fitting services.

I'd like any opinions on buying appliance from Ikea too. They seem like good value, and could be installed at the same time as the kitchen itself is fitted.

I'm unsure about (a) the quality of Ikea white goods and (b) whether I'd be able to get a better deal overall by buying everything separately.

If anyone has any experience of buying and using an Ikea kitchen including appliances, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm putting together a budget for a new kitchen for a renovated small house.

I need to buy all of the worktops and cabinets, as well as appliances including oven and hob, washing machine, fridge-freezer etc.

The quality and price of Ikea kitchens seem ideal for me. I like that they can help with planning and design, and offer delivery and fitting services.

I'd like any opinions on buying appliance from Ikea too. They seem like good value, and could be installed at the same time as the kitchen itself is fitted.

I'm unsure about (a) the quality of Ikea white goods and (b) whether I'd be able to get a better deal overall by buying everything separately.

If anyone has any experience of buying and using an Ikea kitchen including appliances, I'd be interested in hearing them.

We're in a similar position as yourself. Did research and identified the kitchen providers with a good rep, and went to each for a design and quote. We rathered the ikea design, and they were by far the cheaper. We went to powercity and priced the appliances we were missing and there was a huge difference, across the board they worked out the same.

As for fitting appliances, very few fitters will fully wire or plumb appliances, so keep this in mind. It's really only an issue for the hob and oven.

Ikea do provide a good quote, but their fitting costs are highish too so keep that in mine.

People will likely tell u ikea kitchens are poor quality (it had us very weary), but when you talk to those with them for the last number of years theyre all really happy.

Hope theres some useful info there.

One thing to bare in mind, theres no space behind the kitchen cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unless you fit yourself idea are no cheaper than no laces like kitchen world. Their appliances are rebadged whirlpool. Appliances especially built in ones are standard sizes so shop around, I find power city to be good and have room to haggle.

You'll need a plumber and possible a electrician as kitchen fitters generally don't do either , if your tiling your splash back you'll also need a tiler

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I've had IKEA kitchens all my adult life (and it's a long one).
    We always assembled and installed them ourselves, sometimes with the help of friends.
    In some of our homes we've had all Ikea appliances and they worked without fail. In our recent home we have the dishwasher and the fridge from ikea, but we incorporated some what was already in the house when we bought it.

A house where we used to live still has the kitchen we installed about 15 years ago and it still looks like new. The people who have lived there since we left (13 years ago) have no inclination to get rid just yet.

The whole concept of IKEA kitchens (and furniture in general) is that you assemble it yourself. If you need someone to do this for you then it is going to cost an awful lot more, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I did 2 ikea kitchens, one where I went to power city for the integrated appliances, and more recently one where I fitted all ikea appliances.
    It's def more straightforward to use their integrated appliances. They have all the measuring etc figured out for you.
    But don't get the cheapest ikea appliances (can't remember what they're called) as they don't get the 5 year warranty.
    Appliances are rebranded Whirlpool by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Thanks all.

So an Ikea fitter won't instal any of the appliances, and I'll need a separate plumber and electrician do to that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thanks all.

So an Ikea fitter won't instal any of the appliances, and I'll need a separate plumber and electrician do to that work?

Essentially yes, electrician almost certainly, plumber depends on you really. This is the case with most kitchen fitters as they arent certified for connecting ovens etc.

Advertisement