Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Terenure classic car show

Options
  • 03-07-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Just a note to anybody going here today. The whole event seems to be taken over by hi-vis attendants and the ticket payment/ queuing system leaves a lot to be desired.
    Made it into car park, despite three point turn required due to placement of cones by hi-vis gang. Then expertly parked (in middle of field) by guy who obviously parked trucks in B&I.
    Not allowed into show without a wristband, which meant going back another road & joining a long que. At this point my tolerance limit was breached and decided to leave, but the hi-vis helpers didn't know where the exit was.
    This show has always been the best classic show in the country, now spoiled by hi-vis (probably volunteer) attendants who seem to seep into these type events and take over. From what I could see of the show itself it looked like a nice turnout, but much less hassle parking in petrol station in village & watching cars drive past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Our experience was the exact opposite, parked in the car park off Fortfield Road as usual, piece of cake..
    Ticket, payment , queueing system left nothing to be desired in our case as there wasn't any of either, we just walked straight in..:D
    Hi-viz attendants we came across appeared to be 'company' men but hard to tell, no probs anyhow,
    Great show, good weather, just wish we had more time there..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fup. Forgot about this. Thought I'd spot a thread popping up in the lead up. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Terence?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

No problems for us today either. There was a bit of a queue to get into the car park, but we drove past the ticket office on the road into the car park so it was obvious what to do. 1 minute wait for tickets and no queues at all from there on in. We did see a few people at the ticket office that turned and left due to the ticket price though. It was a bit steep, but it's for charity.

I much rather events that have a well planned system in place that works, like today, than poorly planned events. E.G. Duckett's Grove earlier this year where the public parking was so badly planned that regular cars had to park among the classics, so you had cars driving around the field all afternoon and just general chaos.

Excellent day today, and a great turnout!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

I've probably been spoiled over the previous years where the crowds weren't as big and it was possible to park in field beside show field, walk across lane to payment tent where there was usually no que due to amount of people selling entrance fees.
    This year seemed to be a bigger crowd earlier in the day and a proliferation of hi-vis clothed officials. I can imagine them proudly wearing the
    branded vests for the next year when they walk the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Terence?

Hes a good lad, puts on a cracking show every year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Turned up at 3pm, no problem parking, no queue to pay but unfortunately around 1/3 of the exhibits seemed to have left or be leaving by then. Some nice cars still there but overall I was a wee bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Turned up at 3pm, no problem parking, no queue to pay but unfortunately around 1/3 of the exhibits seemed to have left or be leaving by then. Some nice cars still there but overall I was a wee bit disappointed.

I turned up at 4 as had a migraine Sat/into Sun. No problems parking etc by that stage but I was very disappointed by the amount of cars leaving. By 5 pm the display field was pretty empty. I appreciate it that folks travelled to show off their classic but it was advertised as being on until 6 so imo the cars should be told to stay till 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    I turned up at 4 as had a migraine Sat/into Sun. No problems parking etc by that stage but I was very disappointed by the amount of cars leaving. By 5 pm the display field was pretty empty. I appreciate it that folks travelled to show off their classic but it was advertised as being on until 6 so imo the cars should be told to stay till 6.

Yep or just advertise shorter hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Last year you could pay at either entrance so I have no idea why they didn't go about it that way this year too.

• Advertisement

CorkMan_ wrote: »

how can you do that? If you enforce it, it's false imprisonment. 6 is too late, as said they should advertise it with shorter hours, to 4pm perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭hellyeah

was there at 11.30am. first time there and was very impressed. Parking was very straight forward, easy to get ticket. Quality of the cars on show was excellant. Stewards were very helpfull regarding exit/ toilets etc. Defo go back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭goochy

Please change to terenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Sorry, predictive text on phone & old eyes led to
    typo in title. Editing function seems to only allow
    me to edit content of post, not title.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Arrived at 2.50 yesterday. Short queue into the car park which was fine. Nobody told us on the way into go and buy tickets which was silly but we figured it out anyway. Walked in without getting said tickets checked then :confused:

I'd say by the time we got in, around 40% of stuff had already left and most of the place looked like a mess with cars just sitting on their own with gaps all over the shop. Definitely thought €15 was a bit much too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynott

My previous visit to this show was 1991 and it did not disappoint 25 years later !! So many cars covering a huge range of makes and models. Weather was great too. I agree with previous posts regarding cars leaving early. There should be some good incentive for cars to stay on or else finish the show earlier and maybe even open earlier. I would be well peeved to pay €15 in to discover many cars had left. Also it is disappointing to see so many cars that are not on their own brand's stand. There were only a handful of MX5's on their stand with a good number parked randomly elsewhere. Same for other makes. All in all Terenure is a fantastic show and a great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lynott wrote: »
    I agree with previous posts regarding cars leaving early. There should be some good incentive for cars to stay on .....

Considering the great unwashed had to pay €15 per adult, I assume the classic car owners get an 'appearance fee', the solution is to pay them when they're leaving with a sliding scale that severely penalises early leavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

coylemj wrote: »
    Considering the great unwashed had to pay €15 per adult, I assume the classic car owners get an 'appearance fee', the solution is to pay them when they're leaving with a sliding scale that severely penalises early leavers.

Classic owners had to pay €15 aswell and then €5 per passenger I think

coylemj wrote: »

Appearance fee? lol just lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

millington wrote: »
    Classic owners had to pay €15 aswell and then €5 per passenger I think

Yep, and if you hadn't pre-booked your classic car by the 26th June, it would be cheaper to park in the ordinary car park and go in.
    To display a vehicle, please click on the Buy Tickets button below. Entry Fees are €15 per car (inc driver and one passenger, extra passengers €5 each), cars for sale €25 (signs must be inside the car). Online Entries must be received by June 26th to guarantee you receive a commemorative plate and avail of the reduced fee. Late entry fees will rise to €20 per car and entries will only be accepted at the gate up to noon on the day subject to space being available.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

2 pages of moaney waffle and not a single car pic.... Good job lads/ladettes!

:D

Advertisement