Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone have experience with Celta?

• 03-07-2016 4:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I have an online 180hr Tefl course but finding it really hard to get work with it, I need a Celta and im looking at The English academy in Dublin, I'll be spending my entire savings on it if I decide to do it so im wondering is it worth it? I'll be looking for a job in Ireland. I have a degree but its an arts degree so ive no previous teacher training.

Any advice on the course? whats covered? is it very intense? hard to pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AiRcTRL

I have an online 180hr Tefl course but finding it really hard to get work with it?

Are you looking for work in Ireland or abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

AiRcTRL wrote: »
    Are you looking for work in Ireland or abroad?

Yeah im looking in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yellowjumper

Hi Airyfairy12,

Just said I'd hop in with my experience!
    I did a CELT in CES on Dame St./Dame Lane almost two years ago, and it was worth every penny. I attended classes for a full day every day, half day Friday, for four weeks, with an extra week before final portfolio submission, and gained invaluable teaching experience. I can't stress how important this is if you want to be in any way serious about teaching and getting a job.
    An online course is no comparison; most of what you need to learn is the practical side of it, teaching real-life students, and getting feedback from tutors and other students. Knowing the grammar is only a start!

The course is very intense. The material isn't that difficult, but there is a lot of work. It's a real commitment for the month/five weeks, but if you want to get a job, then it's the only way to go. Some people drop out, some people fail, but to be honest you know where you stand the whole way though the course, so you'll know if you really need to pull up your socks. I think if you complete the assignments, and put in a bit of an effort to show up, do the TPs (teaching practises), and take their advice on board, then you should be able to pass. Just be prepared to work hard for the month!

I went abroad for a little while before coming back to Dublin. Getting work around this time of year if no problem though- there are so many students here this time of year, REALLY high turnover of students!- and even if you've no experience working in a school, many places will take you on for their summer schools, and you can build up experience that way. You will be working with teenagers (usually Italian and Spanish), and they can seem like a daunting prospect when you start! They're absolutely fine though, and definitely a great way to learn very quickly!
    And your degree subject isn't important; every field is represented, so don't worry about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hi Airyfairy12,

Just said I'd hop in with my experience!
    I did a CELT in CES on Dame St./Dame Lane almost two years ago, and it was worth every penny. I attended classes for a full day every day, half day Friday, for four weeks, with an extra week before final portfolio submission, and gained invaluable teaching experience. I can't stress how important this is if you want to be in any way serious about teaching and getting a job.
    An online course is no comparison; most of what you need to learn is the practical side of it, teaching real-life students, and getting feedback from tutors and other students. Knowing the grammar is only a start!

The course is very intense. The material isn't that difficult, but there is a lot of work. It's a real commitment for the month/five weeks, but if you want to get a job, then it's the only way to go. Some people drop out, some people fail, but to be honest you know where you stand the whole way though the course, so you'll know if you really need to pull up your socks. I think if you complete the assignments, and put in a bit of an effort to show up, do the TPs (teaching practises), and take their advice on board, then you should be able to pass. Just be prepared to work hard for the month!

I went abroad for a little while before coming back to Dublin. Getting work around this time of year if no problem though- there are so many students here this time of year, REALLY high turnover of students!- and even if you've no experience working in a school, many places will take you on for their summer schools, and you can build up experience that way. You will be working with teenagers (usually Italian and Spanish), and they can seem like a daunting prospect when you start! They're absolutely fine though, and definitely a great way to learn very quickly!
    And your degree subject isn't important; every field is represented, so don't worry about that!

I'm only seeing your reply now, thanks it was really informative. My biggest fear is failing the course, tbh I havnt worked in so long (not by choice) so im worried about the long days that im really not used to... getting up at 6 to get there for 9 and getting home late in the evenings.. I dont live near dublin. 13 hour days on top of course work. I don't know what id do if I failed but it seems like the only way to get a job and I am very serious about teaching. Is there much grammar covered in the course? or is it mostly teaching practice/classroom managment.. that sort of thing? I'm just wondering is it in anyway similar to the online course? maybe ive covered some it which would be helpful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yellowjumper

It can be a lot of work alright, especially if you've been out of work/learning for a while! I also hadn't been working or studying for a while before I did the course, and it was fine. To be honest, I enjoyed having to do the work. As long as you're ready to do the course, try to keep on top of the work (as in, do the stuff when you get it, don't put it off until the last minute), and know that it's a good bit of work, it'll be fine! As I said, the material isn't very difficult, there's just a lot of it.
    I was also commuting in; it's definitely manageable.

There is a bit of grammar covered- there is one module that focuses on grammar, and then there's whatever grammar you cover for the teaching practise. This is something that you really only learn properly once you're in the classroom and have done it a few times. It's like anything that takes a practical application- like learning to drive. You can study it on paper, but once you get out and drive, you understand it a lot better.

I'd say whatever you've covered in the online course will be a start. The CELT will build on that, and give you a lot extra, especially when it comes to the practical teaching experience, which is invaluable!
    Go for it! Just make the commitment to the course and get on with it. It'll be over before you know it, and then you'll be able to teach and work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement