Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax online payment

Options
  • 02-07-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi guys,

I have a question. I missed to pay my motor max on friday and have trip on sunday morning.

Including Sunday it will be 3rd day of not having disc

Now this is my question, If I a make a online payment today (saturday night) and get the confirmation/receipt and display together with Old disc which expired two days ago, will that work ?

Please help and if you can provide me a official link, that will be great help

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The offence is non display of a disc, so technically you'd still be breaking the law even if you've paid. In reality even if a guard has a problem with the tax being up, they'd usually give you a few weeks to produce it at a Garda station.
    I've never had a guard even mention newly (under a month) out of date tax at checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

motortax.ie is the link you want.

print a screen shot and keep it with you in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Don't park in any council operated car parks. Just got done for it while waiting on a disc to be reissued. Livid because I had already started organising getting the disc reissued which as it happens requires a bloody trip to the guards and the motor tax offic

Traffic wardens can also fine for no tax.

Don't park in any council operated car parks. Just got done for it while waiting on a disc to be reissued. Livid because I had already started organising getting the disc reissued which as it happens requires a bloody trip to the guards and the motor tax offic

Its Form RF 134 . you need it Garda stamped and can post it in to your local motor tax office.
    the fee is €6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

You have a month after the expiry to get a new disc. So your tax expiry was 06-16 you have til end of July.

tina1040 wrote: »
    You have a month after the expiry to get a new disc. So your tax expiry was 06-16 you have til end of July.

You can still be fined for having no tax.

Yeah, the one month thing is one of those unwritten rules that are totally at the discretion of the guard that pulls you over, traffic warden would fine you regardless for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Its Form RF 134 . you need it Garda stamped and can post it in to your local motor tax office.
    the fee is €6.

Oh I know. I was in the process of getting the damn thing stamped when I got caught in the car park

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, the one month thing is one of those unwritten rules that are totally at the discretion of the guard that pulls you over, traffic warden would fine you regardless for example.

Unwritten rules usually don't exist in real life.

• Advertisement

So you're saying don't drive the car till the disc comes out?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So you're saying don't drive the car till the disc comes out?

I'm saying the law is clear on the non display of a current tax disk.

I can't comment on unwritten rules and secret handshakes :)

But you are commenting on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

print out proof of payment from the official motortax.ie website-that should be enough..its always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sajith

Thanks guys...I think from the above discussions, it would be good if I don't drive without a disc. Techincally it seems not a legal thing.
    I have paid the amount in online and confirmation letter... but I am not driving this car. My friend asked me to drive his car to avoid further confusions. Thanks so much again for your advise.

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You're being far too cautious my friend. Drive your car, nothing will happen you.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

That's ridiculous. You have somewhere to go and you have paid your tax. You won't be fined.

Thousands of people pay after the date and no problems. There is quite a bit of scaremongering here. The gardai are not that strict. I have gone through checkpoints a couple of weeks over and never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I paid my tax online friday morning. Im off to dublin now without the disc and am i bothered....not at all, ill drive away with zero worries about checkpoints etc. Iv paid im entiltled to drive irrespective of whether i do or dont have the updated piece of paper attached to my window. OP drive away you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,398 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sajith wrote: »
    Thanks guys...I think from the above discussions, it would be good if I don't drive without a disc. Techincally it seems not a legal thing.
    I have paid the amount in online and confirmation letter... but I am not driving this car. My friend asked me to drive his car to avoid further confusions. Thanks so much again for your advise.

Regards

There has always been the (unofficial) convention that there was a 10 day 'grace period' after your tax disc expired when any cop would accept the excuse 'it's in the post' but it's extremely unlikely that you will get any hassle. With a printout of the payment confirmation, you have even less to worry about.

Even if you're pulled over at a Garda checkpoint and they see the expired tax disc, as long as you have a current insurance disc, the worst that will happen is that the Garda will remind you that the tax disc has expired but there is no way that you will be prosecuted within a few days of the old one expiring.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about - if it was insurance then everything you say would apply but not for the tax disc.

Just to add some info for posterity....

Someone mentioned the VIN being the PIN for online renewals.

The last 6 digits of the VIN can only be used upon the first taxation of a car. After that its the last 6 digits of your Log Book number ( top right corner of front cover).
    If you change details, you will get a new log book and a new PIN by default.
    If you're stuck, you can phone your local motor tax office who can give you your PIN.

You must phone the MTO for your county. ie, if in Donegal, dont call Dublin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement