Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barefoot Trimmer Mayo?

Options
  • 02-07-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm looking for a trimmer that will be able to pop out to trim my horses' feet a couple of times a year.
    I generally trim them myself, with a guiding hand from my present UKNHCP, and she has offered to pop over herself from the UK, but I wondered what everyone else does. I've noticed there is, thankfully, a growing number of owners of barefoot horses in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

A good farrier would be a better bet. There's more of them around than barefoot trimmers, so it should be easier to find one.

Contrary to popular belief, farriers are not anti barefoot, and any farrier worth his salt shouldn't have a problem looking after the hoofcare needs of a horse kept barefoot.

Plus if you hire a qualified farrier you know your getting someone that has served there time and has been passed fit to do the job by a governing body.

And the big one, from my experience a farrier charges less to trim a horses feet than a barefoot trimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

i use a master-farrier to trim mine and he charges 30 quid a trim. he's very fast , extremely patient and has my 6 done within an hour (now non of them ..well maybe except princess-on-a-pea are difficult with him) but the farrier I had before had huge trouble with my lot (i ended up firing him when he used the nosepincher)..so ye master farrier every time.

Advertisement