Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Retailers

Options
  • 02-07-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anybody know anywhere in Ireland that you can buy decent PC components off. I'm looking to purchase a UHD monitor, possibly an Acer Predator. I could buy it off Amazon/Scan/Aria etc I'm just nervous of having issues with it and not easily being able to return it due to size.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

nige1978 wrote: »
    Anybody know anywhere in Ireland that you can buy decent PC components off. I'm looking to purchase a UHD monitor, possibly an Acer Predator. I could buy it off Amazon/Scan/Aria etc I'm just nervous of having issues with it and not easily being able to return it due to size.

They're aren't really any decent Irish retailers. You can buy the crap PC world/Harvey Norman sell bu that's about it. AFAIK German and the US are about the only places with walk in centres.

I've never had an issue returning stuff to amazon if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nige1978

I guess It's more the hassle for such a large purchase. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

never had an issue ordering from any of above.

generally i order from overclockers /scan and mindfactory.de

I guess It's more the hassle for such a large purchase. Thanks for the reply.

All them buttons to push on Amazon is tiring I grant you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Don't forget to check out Parcel Motel, OP. Might save you a few quid on delivery.

• Advertisement

Parcel motel is really handy not sure if they'd be able to handle a box the size needed for a Acer 34" QHD monitor. My problem is at that price, any little flaw/dead pixel it would be sent back in a flash. It's just it would be a right royal PITA to post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Parcel motel is really handy not sure if they'd be able to handle a box the size needed for a Acer 34" QHD monitor. My problem is at that price, any little flaw/dead pixel it would be sent back in a flash. It's just it would be a right royal PITA to post back.

Headshot over on PC B&U has returned 3(or 4 or 5) ultrawides, I think to Scan. Have a search for it. Shouldnt be an issue with the reputable UK retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Elara but you pay an Irish premium using them.

ED E wrote: »
    Headshot over on PC B&U has returned 3(or 4 or 5) ultrawides, I think to Scan. Have a search for it. Shouldnt be an issue with the reputable UK retailers.

Yeah, that's wide I'm nervous about. Can't seem to find any specific thread, any links?

ED E wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I'm nervous about. Can't seem to find any specific thread, any links?

• Advertisement

Order from amazon.

Use a knife to open the outer box and inner box, very carefully.

Check item. Assuming not happy put it back into box carefully.

Apply sticky tape.

Contact Amazon live chat, arrange for an RMA a label will be emailed. Print label or pop down a shop and get them to do it for 50c.

Using sticky tape apply label to outer box.

Pop along to post office, job done.

You realise if you buy from a retailer they're likely to tell you to get lost unless the monitor is specifically a pixel perfect model. Amazon on the other hand are very good when it comes to customer service, make sure it's being fulfilled by Amazon when purchasing, it will say so.

Yeah, Amazon might be the best bet. I've had great experience with their customer service in the past. They even gave me a full refund on a NAS that was 6 months out of warranty because it was a replacement from the original and they didn't have stock for a third replacement.

I checked out Elara for the Acer Predator and noticed this notice:

"**Note: All Warranties/Dead On Arrival issues for this item are handled by the manufacturer"

I thought under consumer law Elara would have to sort out any issues as your contract was with them and not the manufacturer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Correct. They just hope by putting up that notice that most people will just accept it. Most people do. If you kick up a fuss....or rather politely remind them of your consumer rights, you will eventually get high enough up the ladder.

Frankly, it's not worth the trouble. Just go with Amazon. They don't act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Elara will handle your RMA no issues if you had one. They give you the option of going through them to send it back to the retailer or sending it back yourself. As said also, Amazon to are great for RMA.

I bought my monitor recently via Komplett because they offered free returns with collection from my house if I had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

A local IT company could be worth a try.
    They would be able to order it in and then I'd anything went wrong you'd deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

OP go with likes of amazon,any time i had to return stuff it was just putting sticker on and way it goes,the likes of pc world etc or other smaller retailers will give you more headache,since even pc world after 30 days ,think,will need to inspect item and whats wrong with it etc,given if smth happens at later stage,also another con for using such places you overpay 50-100e easily.

Can wouch for scan- since they use dpd service,so you get it delivered to door,and think if smth happens same courier will come over to pick it up once arranged rma.basically it always risk of getting faulty item,but while its pain to deal with returns amazon has best reputation,and wont try to dodge you out of cash,while local retailers could beat around bush before you get replacement that is, if its past 2-weeks or 30 days,people buy large screen tvs,and boxing has went long ways nowadays to protect more valuable items,also dropping pound rate is advantage of getting items way cheaper now.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Very helpful..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Amazon are usually ridiculously easy to return things to. I'm more likely to buy from Amazon because of how hassle free things are when something goes wrong.

Advertisement