Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2D AutoCad GTI Galway

Options
  • 02-07-2016 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of taking part in this course. I have experience in AutoCad (long time ago now).

My question is, is this qualification still relevant as I see that solid work seems to be the norm now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi

I'm thinking of taking part in this course. I have experience in AutoCad (long time ago now).

My question is, is this qualification still relevant as I see that solid work seems to be the norm now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Where do you want to work after?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Good point. I had not fully decieded. I do have an interest in the drawing side of it.

I am currently employed in a different field.

I have an interest in engineering and completed a city & guilds Cert last year with plans to continue doing courses until I get myself the time and money for a degree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

there is a demand for good quality cad technicians in civil, structural, highways engineering and architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

AutoCad is a good place to start developing your skills.

Around Galway, most of the non-civil Eng. CAD work would use SolidWorks.

Get yourself a student edition and study it using free on-line tools.

If this is an area that interests you, I would advise studying Civil or Mech. Eng. as most jobs in that field will require a formal qualification, drafting is now largely a skill used by technicians & engineers, with few stand-alone drafting jobs available.

• Advertisement

I find there are two types of cad technicians. Tracers who just copy what you have drawn and technicians who improve what you have drawn. Both may have the same qualifications but very different attitudes.

Advertisement