Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 B6 headlight switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Anybody??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Not a clue tbh. Does everything work with the old switch? Maybe its a switch for auto lights or vice versa...

jca wrote: »
    Not a clue tbh. Does everything work with the old switch? Maybe its a switch for auto lights or vice versa...

Thanks "jca"

The old switch is not working now or the replacement switch and both switches are non auto. Very strange :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Thanks "jca"

The old switch is not working now or the replacement switch and both switches are non auto. Very strange :mad:

Stating the obvious but have you checked the codes in the eBay ad against your old switch? I remember replacing the light switch on my B6 years ago and when I plugged in the new one it did all sorts of weird things like you described. I ended up going back to the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I replaced the covers on my switch sometime back and it was a bi#@h to remove the selector knob if I remember correctly. Dremel came out in the end.

Just so I have it right:
    • Original switch with worn covers: Working
    • Original switch with new covers: Not working
    • New switch with new covers: Not working

If scenarios above are correct, it sounds like something on the wiring harness plug or wiring got damaged during installation or is connected incorrectly. Would start here..

• Advertisement

zizou_ wrote: »
    Stating the obvious but have you checked the codes in the eBay ad against your old switch? I remember replacing the light switch on my B6 years ago and when I plugged in the new one it did all sorts of weird things like you described. I ended up going back to the old one.

Yes the switch is the correct code...
    I replaced the covers on my switch sometime back and it was a bi#@h to remove the selector knob if I remember correctly. Dremel came out in the end.

Just so I have it right:
    • Original switch with worn covers: Working
    • Original switch with new covers: Not working
    • New switch with new covers: Not working

If scenarios above are correct, it sounds like something on the wiring harness plug or wiring got damaged during installation or is connected incorrectly. Would start here..

Yup above is correct, I have examined the loom for damage but it seems ok...

get yourself a pin-out diagram for the switch plug and test it..

get yourself a pin-out diagram for the switch plug and test it..

Thanks "irish bloke"

I believe this is the pin out diagram for the switch, how do I test it?

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/theamazingdave/Passat%20Repair/Switchdiag.jpg

You will need a wiring diagram too. This is just off the net for a 2002 A4 (Bentley manuals)

Check for power and ground first at multi-pin plug:

• Check for headlight 12V power at connector pin 15/30. According to diagram this switches to terminal 11/56 (yellow wire) which feeds the headlight adjuster switch. According to your pinout (which may not be correct) its pin 4/56.
    • Check for Ignition 12V power at connector pin 1/XZ (black wire) - Make sure ignition is switched on
    • Check for fog light front and rear 12V power at connector pin 2/XR (black/yellow wire). - May need ignition switched on
    • Check for instrument panel 12V power at connector pin 17/58d (grey/blue wire) - May need ignition switched on
    • Check for ground 0V at connector pin 10/31 (brown wire).

You could then apply power directly to rest of lights via there supply to test them or else complete a resistance check on the wires for breaks. – these all appear to go through electrical system control module J519

Example would be applying 12V power from terminal 2/XR (black/yellow wire) to front fog lights (terminal 8/NL, white/green wire) or to rear fog lights (terminal 9/NSL, white/grey wire). Again the ignition may need to be turned on.

Hope this helps

audi.b6.wd.02%209.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1306355641193&api=v2

Your a gent "irish bloke" appreciate it. Will have a look tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Update: Tried few tests you suggested "irish bloke" and all was fine so I was baffled.

I decided to head to a breakers and try another few switches available and it turns out the original switch I had 8E0941531 was faulty (prob messed it up changing the faceplate on it) and the replacement I got 8E0941531A was an incorrect switch so another 8E0941531 switch solved the problem. Thanks for the input lads...

Advertisement