Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food plan advice please

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,016 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to get together a workable food plan please, with the following breakdown - 300g Protein, 200g Carbs & 21g Fat per day.

In essence, I'm aiming for the following;

MEAL 1 (pre-workout)

P: 50
    C: 40
    F: 0 added

MEAL 2 (post-workout)

C: 80

MEAL 3

MEAL 4

MEAL 5

C: 0
    F: 14 added

MEAL 6

C: 0
    F: 7 added

I will use protein shakes (whey pre/post workout and casein before bed)

Does anyone have something similar worked out?

Thanks for reading, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Might be useful to use MyFitnessPal, enter what you think hits close enough to those macros and tweak accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,016 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Might be useful to use MyFitnessPal, enter what you think hits close enough to those macros and tweak accordingly.

Cheers. I do have that app so will use it.

I'm looking for ideas of what foods to have at what time. I'd prefer not to have a chicken fillet at 6 am for example :p

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

everlast75 wrote:
    I am looking to get together a workable food plan please, with the following breakdown - 300g Protein, 200g Carbs & 21g Fat per day.

You're gonna run into issues fast with your fat level so low.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You're gonna run into issues fast with your fat level so low.

You might just be right - but I have two qualified personal trainers who both said to try it for 4 weeks and see how I get on. Again, you may be right, but putting that aside for the moment, does anyone have a food plan or a steer in terms of what to eat and when please?

Cheers.

Worth an experiment I suppose. Whole unprocessed foods I'd usually say but It'll be hard to hit that low of a fat level especially if you have any red meat. You're probably going to have to eat a lot of 0% fat food. Try plugging it into a website like eatthismuch.com and see what it comes up with.

Also what do you mean by when? Looks like you have post and pre workout meal macro ideas already?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Worth an experiment I suppose. Whole unprocessed foods I'd usually say but It'll be hard to hit that low of a fat level especially if you have any red meat. You're probably going to have to eat a lot of 0% fat food. Try plugging it into a website like eatthismuch.com and see what it comes up with.

Also what do you mean by when? Looks like you have post and pre workout meal macro ideas already?

cheers mate!

it was just the food that makes up the macros that I was looking for... stuff that would be edible, say early morning, stuff relatively easy to prep and trying to vary it as much as possible :)

everlast75 wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas of what foods to have at what time. I'd prefer not to have a chicken fillet at 6 am for example :p

You're looking to get 50g of protein at 6am amd I don't know what you have in mind but it sounds like any meat is out. If you want food it's likely to be meat or eggs/egg whites and a decent portion thereof to get that much in.

everlast75 wrote:
    it was just the food that makes up the macros that I was looking for... stuff that would be edible, say early morning, stuff relatively easy to prep and trying to vary it as much as possible

Well carbs are easy. Potatoe, rice, sweet potatoe, porridge, muesli (check fat content). Good thing about carbs is it's an easy source to find by itself. Protein you can get in chicken turkey and protein powder. Can also find yoghurt with zero fat in them with some decent flavours. Watch out for ones loaded with sugar though. I find glenisk and liberte ones pretty good with a decent carb protein split. Honestly the exact numbers I'm not sure. You're gonna have to just mix and match with myfitnesspal till you figure out what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You might just be right - but I have two qualified personal trainers who both said to try it for 4 weeks and see how I get on. Again, you may be right, but putting that aside for the moment, does anyone have a food plan or a steer in terms of what to eat and when please?

Cheers.

Did the PT's say why you need such a low fat intake? Just curious

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did the PT's say why you need such a low fat intake? Just curious

I don't have much of a stomach - I'm about 19% body fat and have tried 50/20/30 carbs/protein/good fats for they last few months. I'm trying to bulk up a little and so am trying this. I guess it's so I don't put on much around the waist.

it's a trial anyway for 4 weeks. I train 4 times a week with weights, usually one cardio too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I don't have much of a stomach - I'm about 19% body fat and have tried 50/20/30 carbs/protein/good fats for they last few months. I'm trying to bulk up a little and so am trying this. I guess it's so I don't put on much around the waist.

it's a trial anyway for 4 weeks. I train 4 times a week with weights, usually one cardio too.

But eating fats dosent put fat onto your waist unless you're eating a calorie surplus I thought. I'm just wondering what their thinking was behind the decision that's all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cheers.

You should ask the 2 qualified PTs what to eat if it was there idea so....

And just to be contrarian, I bet you'l find way more than 2 qualified PTs on here who'll disagree strongly with that idea.

Hell, you've already found 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Cheers.

Did the 2 PTs give you a reason for having such a low amount of fats in your diet? I cannot think of any reason why you would want to minimise the amount of healthy fats you consume to such a low level.
    everlast75 wrote:
    it was just the food that makes up the macros that I was looking for... stuff that would be edible, say early morning, stuff relatively easy to prep and trying to vary it as much as possible

I don't know how you are going to achieve 300g of protein without taking in fats. For example, an average chicken fillet contains about 20g of fat which is just shy of the daily limit you have set. Even whey protein contains fat - 2.5g per scoop in the one I use.

Hi all,

I am allowed any fats that are naturally occurring in foods that I take. The fat content listed above is in addition to those.

So for example, 50g of protein = 20 g of chicken. No fat content is factored in.

For 14g = 1/2 avacado, 7g = cashew nuts etc.

Following more research online, I've found the food portions I need and have a food plan of sorts. It takes a lot of work and I'm hoping it will get easier as I become more used to the prep work. Plus its a lot of eating :O

Its a lot of food but i'm gonna try my best to stick to ie.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I am allowed any fats that are naturally occurring in foods that I take. The fat content listed above is in addition to those.

Well that was confusing:D!

Just to get my head around this - what sort of fats are you allowed only 21g per day of?

Just to get my head around this - what sort of fats are you allowed only 21g per day of?

I would presume the likes of adding butter, oils etc.

I would presume the likes of adding butter, oils etc.

walnuts, almonds, cashews,natural peanut butter,olive/fish/Udos oil,
    avocados

Green veggies are free foods, Salt and salt-containing spices are ok to use in moderation, Sugar/fat free condiments are ok to use in moderation, Artificial sweeteners are ok to use in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

what I eat in the morning time is this, however my fat content would be much higher than yours... personally if I want to lose weight I lower my carbs and up my fats... works for me

eggs + thin salmon slices
    bowl of granola and milk
    yoghurt
    green tea

• Registered Users Posts: 39,046 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi all,

So for example, 50g of protein = 20 g of chicken. No fat content is factored in.

For 14g = 1/2 avacado, 7g = cashew nuts etc.
    This makes absolute no sense.
    You aren't counting natural occuring fats todays your breakdown :confused:
    Which means you'll have no clue what your intake is and if you are overeating or undereating.

If you choose lean chicken breast, protein shakes, lean meat to hit yout 300cals you'll take on no almost fat.
    The next day you have steak, eggs, chicken wings, pork belly. You hit the same 300g protein, but also wat 165g of fat, and extra 1500 cals. Both days are the same in your "breaksdown".

There's no reason why you would track two macros only. It's also ridiculous to plan a very specific 7g of fat to be added to a meal, when that meal could could have anything from 0-30g of fat there already. What's the point?

I wouldn't hold much confidence is any qualified PT's

Advertisement