Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage life insurance after cancer

Options
  • 01-07-2016 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone my name is A me and my partner B are buying a house in North Cork

We are in the process for 6 months.

We had multiple issues in the process solicitor // bank ...

Now we finally have everything, we were supposed to sign our contracts tonight but yesterday we had some news ... bad news ... Bank of Ireland came back to us and said they could only get myself covered for the mortgage insurance policy.

They said we have 3 options :

1 : only got myself covered for the mortgage insurance policy.

2 : get us both covered by Bank of Ireland if we have a rejection letter from another insurance.

3 : get covered somewhere else

basically they said to us that we could be covered but excluding the cancer, and now they say they can't cover us so it’s a bit frustrating

We applied with 3 other companies and are waiting for their answers .

Is any of you has ever been in that situation? We feel a bit desperate right now.

B's cancer was diagnose 12 years ago he had multiple surgeries to help him heal . Today he is perfectly fine at the only exception that at the MRI they see something in his head ( people see this thing at each MRI since 12 years now).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

A

*mod note - identifying information edited out*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

You might be able to get more help in the Accommodation & Property Section... It's in Topics under Society & Culture, 2nd in List.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cjooconnor

Hi
    Im 17 years post bmt
    I had leukemia in 1999 had bmt same year. My wife and i got mortgage in 2006 i too had trouble getting cover it wasnt declined but was very costly about 380 per month with bank of ireland. I took it as we couldnt delay. Few months later i changed the life cover to irish life. Maybe try them if you havent already.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a similar situation last year when buying a house. We were looking to close this time last year but I had a massive heart attack at the end of September.
    I already had a mortgage protection policy buto it wouldn't have covered the new mortgage.
    Anyhow, our mortgage was going to be with AIB. They said two rejection letters woukd suffice. I got them (or Irish Life) to do one rejection and in the AIB office when they told me of this I rang another company (Chill iirc) who were taken aback with the intro ("hi, i know that you won't quote me but I need the letter of rejection").
    Anyhow, both I and my wife had to sign disclaimer letters for the bank saying that we knew of the risk of me not having sufficient cover (my wife is fully covered).
    It was a very tough few months but we moved in on Dec 22nd.
    Look after yourself and good luck with the move.

Advertisement