Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning after 6 years to study - Grant and BTEA Help

Options
  • 01-07-2016 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I have been back in Ireland a month now after 6 years in oz with no sign of obtaining a job in my field. I have a bachelors degree in Manutronics automation but my work experience is letting me down. I'm currently on social welfare and would love to finish two years honours degree. Would I be entitled to the Back to education allowance and free college fees. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Both back to education and free fees only apply if you are progressing up a level. As you already have a bachelors (Level 8 I assume) you would need to be taking a masters (level 9) to get BTEA. I believe the same applies for free fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There are opportunities to apply as a mature student but I am not sure if you would be granted a grant for a course at the same level, as was said above.

I would recommend you go to your nearest Social Welfare or Citizens Info branch and explain their situation - they will know what the current eligibility criteria is. I have no doubt you will be able to find a route back into education.

Advertisement