Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i40 v Accord v Passat

Options
  • 30-06-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Heading to the UK in the next couple of weeks to pick up a car. Keep changing my mind on what I want. Anyone any thoughts on which of the 3 of the i40, Accord and Passat linked would be the best buy. Around 2011 - 2013

Doing around 25k miles per year. Important things are comfort, connectivity to phone, cruise control. The i40's seem to have a massive spec for the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've driven the i40.

And I wouldn't recommend it.

Uncomfortable driving position, no matter what I do.
    And the controls are all over the place, nothing intuitive about it.
    Also the clutch and gearbox gave issues, which seem to be common on high milers.

Narrow your search to the VW or Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    Around €12 - 13k

Passats and Accords with around 100-120k miles seem to fall into budget, i40s with about 80k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Accord has high tax of €570 compared to the i40 and Passat, this will also bump up the VRT, that said I'd prefer the Accord. Also interior of Accord is loaded with buttons, a little too loaded for some...

up790349p11.jpg?quality=60

The Accord has high tax of €570 compared to the i40 and Passat, this will also bump up the VRT, that said I'd prefer the Accord. Also interior of Accord is loaded with buttons, a little too loaded for some...
    Are you sure about that tax rate or did the engines change in 2013? This is coming up as 139g/km which is €280.

If anyone has any other recommendations of cars of a similar size happy to hear too.

• Advertisement

Think the newer one from 08 or 09 had lower tax? The iDTEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

My 09 iDTEC is €390 a year. (uk import too)

Love driving it, bought it with 82000 miles and close on 170000 now. Wouldn't be as refined as any of the german marques but hardly ever gave an ounce of bother apart from a flimsily put together front bumper which keeps blowing headlights. (might have had a smack that I didn't pick up on)

Loads of buttons which often double up and overkill. Relativily poor mpg(on dash) no more than 42 mpg mainly motorway. Wearing well but I'd wax it and treat the leather twice ayear. Would I recommend it? Definitely. Looking at going over again for an A6 Avant soon myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you sure about that tax rate or did the engines change in 2013? This is coming up as 139g/km which is €280.

If anyone has any other recommendations of cars of a similar size happy to hear too.

Yes my bad, the one I was looking at was an Auto.

Re the buttons, I love buttons but the amount of them on the EX model!
    I'm sure I'd get used to them but even on the wheel there's 15 buttons.

Worse of all is the beeping!! Beep for the key ignition, beep for the door, light for the safety belts(isofix child seat). Those japs love their warnings.

• Advertisement

Actually I think there's more than 15, there are another few like trigger buttons too for the satnav or phone or something?

Actually I think there's more than 15, there are another few like trigger buttons too for the satnav or phone or something?

I'm gonna have to go out and count em now :mad::p

I'm counting the rocker switches like volume up/down as 2.

There's only 9 on my civic.
    Edit, there's actually 11

I'm counting the rocker switches like volume up/down as 2.

There's only 9 on my civic.

Yeah there's 2 rocker switches I'm counting as 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Look at the Passat CC OP.. better looking than the standard Passat and generally higher spec as well but with the same quality (if dull according to some) interior and the fantastic DSG box if you want auto.

I've been thinking about one myself of late as a interim change from my 05 A6 as the 2012 versions with the better tax rates (280 vs 1200) are still a bit beyond budget, so I'm trying to find something that will retain most of the toys and horsies (with a remap) that mine has in the meantime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I've driven the i40. And I wouldn't recommend it. Uncomfortable driving position, no matter what I do. And the controls are all over the place, nothing intuitive about it. Also the clutch and gearbox gave issues, which seem to be common on high milers. Narrow your search to the VW or Honda.

Wonder did they consult the Guards before giving it to them?

I love buttons, too. The C5 has a rake of them.

However, the C5 seems much better laid out and the stationary steering wheel controls make it easy. That Accord looks like it'd be a nightmare trying to adjust or change anything when you're moving the wheel at all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about a Volvo S60?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

mikeecho wrote: »
    I've driven the i40.

And I wouldn't recommend it.

Uncomfortable driving position, no matter what I do.
    And the controls are all over the place, nothing intuitive about it.
    Also the clutch and gearbox gave issues, which seem to be common on high milers.

Narrow your search to the VW or Honda.

Drove to Sligo and back in an i40 and hated every minute of it, truly disappointing car, uncomfortable, vague and floaty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Jesus. wrote: »
    Wonder did they consult the Guards before giving it to them?

If imagine the only consultation was about €€€€€€'s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I'd take a Passat over those two, but I'd sooner buy an Irish Passat than a UK one. UK Specs are inferior to ours, even their top model has dodgy retro fit leather and trim details that are inferior to our mid spec Comfortline. You will get access however to more 2.0 diesels which are far superior to the ubiquites and dull 1.6.

This would tick all your boxes.

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/volkswagen/passat/MK12MUY

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Have to agree with the Volkswagen CC suggestion if considering a Passat. The updated model came in 2012... The CC is a more refined version of the Passat - better noise insulation, better ride quality - very smooth and supple. Not that sporty kind you. However if you find a DSG 177BHP variant, that comes with DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) as standard and sport mode tightens everything up nicely. That said, Normal is pretty much perfect 95% of the time... It's also a lovely looking car and that DSG box is awesome. I went from an 11 Passat to a 151 CC... So am close to both variants.

Have a deposit down on a 2011 CC. Picking it up next week. Thanks for the advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Have a deposit down on a 2011 CC. Picking it up next week. Thanks for the advice lads.

Best of luck with the purchase, beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Excellent! Details!

Advertisement