Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Spilt Milk

Options
  • 30-06-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

hi i let a tablespoon of milk fall on my laptop last night and i unplugged the cable

i used a tissue to soak it up the laptop was still on and i turned it off

i left if for n hour on radiator when i went to turn it on it would not come on

i did not realise there was an issue with it because it was still on and only a small bit of milk

it was then i took out the battery

i left it in the hot press last night and i turned it on this morning and it came on seems to be working fine maybe the space bar was a little stiff

should i turn it off and leave it back in there any advice appreciated thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

To be honest, I would think the chances of this laptop lasting any length of time would be slim.

Leaving it on with liquid spilt on it was a mistake. Attempting to turn it on so soon after was a mistake. Even leaving it on the radiator was probably not the greatest of ideas.

If I were you, I would turn it off remove all power and take the machine apart and look to clean any left over milk off the motherboard with an alcohol solution, or something that will wont damage the laptop further. Then when you have cleaned it as much as you can, leave it to dry in the hotpress for a few days.

That being said, I would imagine the damage is done at this point, so it may be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

To be honest, I would think the chances of this laptop lasting any length of time would be slim.

Leaving it on with liquid spilt on it was a mistake. Attempting to turn it on so soon after was a mistake. Even leaving it on the radiator was probably not the greatest of ideas.

If I were you, I would turn it off remove all power and take the machine apart and look to clean any left over milk off the motherboard with an alcohol solution, or something that will wont damage the laptop further. Then when you have cleaned it as much as you can, leave it to dry in the hotpress for a few days.

That being said, I would imagine the damage is done at this point, so it may be a waste of time.

Hi thanks for the advice I realise now no matter how small even a drop can cause problems
    I did spray the compressed air on key board and touch pad it was a bit liquidy
    I'm not to good at removing laptops though

Will this laptop eventually die now?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

torrevieja wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the advice I realise now no matter how small even a drop can cause problems
    I did spray the compressed air on key board and touch pad it was a bit liquidy
    I'm not to good at removing laptops though

Will this laptop eventually die now?

You would need more than compressed air, an alcohol solution to clean the milk, but that will only work if you take it apart really.

I've seen plenty of laptops that have suffered a similar fate to yours, typically they work for a while and then eventually stop. I would backup all your files (photos, music, videos, documents etc) to an extrenal hard disk or whatever you have to hand just in case it stops.

Advertisement