Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 8 Courses that don't require Higher Level?

Options
  • 29-06-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Are there any level 8 courses that don't require any higher level subjects at all? What would the options for me be if I only took ordinary level subjects for my Leaving Cert?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Why are you limiting yourself to level 8s? And more importantly, ordinary level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Most subjects you know pretty much what will come up at higher whethers ordinary, bit easier, anything can come up which makes it nearly as hard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

c.ciara wrote: »
    Are there any level 8 courses that don't require any higher level subjects at all? What would the options for me be if I only took ordinary level subjects for my Leaving Cert?

You would have to look for courses with a maximum of 360 points. Each course then may have its own subject requirements, which may include HL grades. You would have to check each course, though if you are capable of getting A1 in an OL paper, you really should be looking at sitting the HL one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm pretty certain that all of the universities require that you pass at least 5 subjects at LC level and at least two of them must be at higher level. So you are ruling out all of the universities straight away if you take all ordinary level.

The general requirement for entry to an IT is 5 passes in the LC at ordinary level.

After that it's points determined and any special requirements for an individual course, such as passing a particular subject and sometimes at a particular level.

Is there any particular reason you are considering doing all ordinary level subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

You could gain entry to level 7 courses at the lower end of the points scale (still good courses though). When you get your level 7 degree, you may be able to do an add-on year in the same or a different Institute of Technology to obtain your level 8 qualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

Direct entry into all level 8 courses require 2 honours - no matter the university or IT.
    Remember

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/application_procedures_and_entry_requirements.html

Advertisement