Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem Ford

Options
  • 29-06-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I have a 2003 petrol Mondeo. its misfiring while idling and driving. lack of power. today ive replaced spark plugs, air filter, sprayed decarb into throttle body and revd engine until no smoke from exhaust. let the car sit for a couple of hours then went for a spin. car ran fine for first mile then back to mifire, coughing and when idling cuts out. fuel injector sound like working properly any ideas guys before I set fire to the thing
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Failing coil pack...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Is the check engine light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Split hose somewhere possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭defforirl

Start the engine and leave it running. Pull off the plug lead to number one cylinder, the one nearest the coolant tank. If the mis-firing gets worse replace the plug lead, if it stays the same then you know the problem lies with either no 1 plug lead or the coil pack. Do the same for all plug leads.

Sometimes if you run the engine at night in a dark area or in a garage with the lights turned off you can see the power arcing out of the plug lead to a metal bolt or bracket. If you can see this the plug leads need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

shietpilot wrote: »
    Is the check engine light on?

engine light was on but went out later

• Advertisement

defforirl wrote: »
    Start the engine and leave it running. Pull off the plug lead to number one cylinder, the one nearest the coolant tank. If the mis-firing gets worse replace the plug lead, if it stays the same then you know the problem lies with either no 1 plug lead or the coil pack. Do the same for all plug leads.

Sometimes if you run the engine at night in a dark area or in a garage with the lights turned off you can see the power arcing out of the plug lead to a metal bolt or bracket. If you can see this the plug leads need replacing.

I tried the leads
    so leads 1 and 4 engine ran the same
    led 2 engine ran worse
    lead 3 engine ran better
    and lead 4 gave me electric shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    I tried the leads
    so leads 1 and 4 engine ran the same
    led 2 engine ran worse
    lead 3 engine ran better
    and lead 4 gave me electric shock

You took an ignition lead off and the engine ran better? :confused:

shietpilot wrote: »
    You took an ignition lead off and the engine ran better? :confused:

yes strange I know

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly the leads aren't great, especially if one gave you a shock. If rubber is deteriorating moisture can get in and mess with the electricals.

update changed ht leads, checked all hoses for leaks ( none ) cleaned throttle body and sensor. took to a friends who ran a compression test all fine. on way home put €20 petrol in and a splash of dipetane and car ran great for the day. went out in it today and misfiring and chugging upto 3000 rpm them runs fine. checked fuel filter any other ideas please

thanks

• Advertisement

will the wrong grade engine oil cause this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭blackbox

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    will the wrong grade engine oil cause this problem

Unlikely - unless it has done serious damage to engine. If this was the case it wouldn't have run well for a while after you replaced the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Would you not scan it for the sake of €50 or so?
    You could be at it until the cows come home otherwise

No on the oil grade either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

defforirl wrote: »

Thx for this deff I was scratching me head on another problem and completely forget about doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Would you not scan it for the sake of €50 or so?
    You could be at it until the cows come home otherwise

No on the oil grade either

€50? €5 bluetooth adapter from Ebay and Forscan App (free) on the phone.
    Even diagnoses ABS faults.

Advertisement