Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Certificate Residence

Options
  • 29-06-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have a query in relation to Parents’ Place of Residence on an 1867 Marriage Certificate from St. Nicholas’ in Dublin.
    The ‘Eorum Residentia’ of the parents is given as
    Benares, East Indies.

What does this indicate? From there? Living there at that time?
    The Brides parents are listed under the same column as ‘Defunct’ possibly? Would this indicate that the Groom’s parents were alive then?

From my previous post (India Connection) looking for suggestions and advice in advancing my GG Grandparents being in Calcutta in 1854 (ish) and back in Dublin in 1864 this attached marriage cert seems to strengthen that connection.
    But, again, what does this indicate?

Suggestions welcome as always.
    J

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It means where they were living at the time of the marriage. Defunct indicates the parents are dead, so by inference, the other ones are alive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Many thanks for the prompt reply. This gives me the second definite indication that the India link is real. The first is a Richmond Prison entry for 1873, Birthplace: 'Calcutta' for the son of the above mentioned Groom, my GG Grandfather.
    I had assumed that 'defunct' meant dead. I may now start looking for death records after 1867 for the GGG Grandparents focussing on Benares.
    Again many thanks.
    J

Advertisement