Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where're Your Podcasts From?

Options
  • 29-06-2016 1:49pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Someone asked over in the NTN thread for Irish podcast recommendations. So I went to iTunes list and realised I only have 4 Irish podcasts (2 of which are Second Captains feeds and one of which is an old feed from a now defunct podcast I produced).

It got me thinking, of the podcasts you subscribe to, what countries do they come from?

I have 28 subscriptions, broken down as follows:

5 from the UK
    15 from the US
    4 from Ireland
    1 from Australia
    2 from Canada
    1 Skype podcast done by 3 people, one in the US, one in the UK and one in Ireland

I'd be interested to know if others have more Irish podcasts than I do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I only have a few Irish pods:

-Second Captains
    -Some of the other Irish times ones like World View or Inside Politics.

I reckon the rest of mine are 60% American and 40% British.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Hadn't thought about it before but the 9 podcasts I subscribe to are all American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

One Irish (Second Captains)
    Eight British
    One Australian
    Eleven American

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

3 English, 2 Irish. I find American accents get incredibly irritating very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Out of 13 podcasts:
    3 Irish
    1 English
    9 American.

And 2 of the irish are the 2 second captains. The other is Irish History Podcast, well worth a listen, only 20 minutes long.

I'd subscribe to a few more, but I don't have the time. Current playlist has a backlog of 60 podcasts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cienciano wrote: »
    Out of 13 podcasts:
    3 Irish
    1 English
    9 American.

And 2 of the irish are the 2 second captains. The other is Irish History Podcast, well worth a listen, only 20 minutes long.

I'd subscribe to a few more, but I don't have the time. Current playlist has a backlog of 60 podcasts!

I have a backlog of ~360 podcasts at the moment... My iTunes has 47GB of podcast episodes stored, and that's after I did a clearout over the past week and archived about 10GB of pods that are finished but I want to hold onto. :o

Just a recommendation to yourself, try "When Diplomacy Fails" if you like history. Very good Irish produced podcast.

I find it really interesting that there aren't many Irish podcasts on people's lists... I've always felt that there just aren't that many Irish pods out there that cover topics I'm into (mostly tech, gaming, comedy and sport). Or if there are, they never seem to come to my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The only Irish one I have is 'An Irishman Abroad' and even that is probably done from the UK where yet man's based.

I do have a good few of Irish radio ones but they're just podcasts of the radio show so don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I have a backlog of ~360 podcasts at the moment... My iTunes has 47GB of podcast episodes stored, and that's after I did a clearout over the past week and archived about 10GB of pods that are finished but I want to hold onto. :o

Just a recommendation to yourself, try "When Diplomacy Fails" if you like history. Very good Irish produced podcast.

I find it really interesting that there aren't many Irish podcasts on people's lists... I've always felt that there just aren't that many Irish pods out there that cover topics I'm into (mostly tech, gaming, comedy and sport). Or if there are, they never seem to come to my attention.

You need a few long flights or drives to get through a few of them. I'll give that one a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

US 45
    UK 12
    Ireland 6
    Australia 1
    New Zealand 1
    Canada 1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

US 45
    UK 12
    Ireland 6
    Australia 1
    New Zealand 1
    Canada 1

Wowzers. I thought I had a lot!

Are all those currently active or are there a few finished pods?

• Advertisement

Most of them are active, but not necessarily publishing weekly and there are some I don't listen to religiously.

I've been listening to podcasts at x2 speed for so long now that if I hear them at normal speed they sound drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

All American (30+) apart from 4 Uk, 1 Australian and 1 Irish ( Those Conspiracy Guys )

Also why do people have two feeds for Second Captains? Football and other? Both show up in the same feed for me.

Also why do people have two feeds for Second Captains? Football and other? Both show up in the same feed for me.

There's a feed that's just called "Second Captains" where they occasionally release the little montages music they put in the podcast on. No real point to it really, it's just a nice thing to have. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've a backlog of about 220 podcasts I'd say. Something like 25 active subscriptions. With the Euros on and daily podcasts adding all the time, that number can fluctuate based on them building up and/or skipping some.

I'd say 90% are UK based, and at least 60-70% of those are from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Irish: 8
    UK: 2
    American: 3

I used have an awful lot more in my podcast lists, but cut back big time when I realised that I either stopped listening to some podcasts or began to actively dislike/hate them. My Irish ones are mostly news/politics by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Of the 16 podcasts I subscribe to, I've only got 2 Irish ones.

Nighttimenetwork
    Second Captains

4 UK: Kermode and Mayo, BBC 5 Live Football Daily, Football Weekly, Football Ramble

9 US: How Did This Get Made?, The MMA Hour, The MMA Beat, Around The NFL, Sleep With Me, IGN Games Podcasts, Bill Burr, Hockey Today and NBA Lockdown.

1 Canadian: Grown Ups Read Things They Wrote As Kida

Advertisement