Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Laptop ugrade

Options
  • 29-06-2016 11:12am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

a few questions if I may.

My local school that I help out with (IT wise etc) have asked me to upgrade their laptops (10+) over the summer.

Upgrade ram, possible ssd's instead of platter hd's, reload OS and office and whiteboard software.

Where are ye ordering parts (ram/ssd's) from at the moment ?
    whats the best way to convert to ssd and transfer os, office and other software ?
    If I clone the hd over to ssd - and i do a fresh install after that - how will i recover Office ?

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hi Karl,

If you want to try staying local, then https://www.memoryc.com/ are a decent company from what i've heard. Never used them personally but might be good for the RAM at least. You'll need to find out the RAM type. Usually for a simple school laptop 4gb is all that is needed, 8gb max.

For the SSD, probably try amazon.co.uk. Sandisk usually have sales and are pretty cheap. This article looks good for advice: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

It is possible to clone the HDD to the ssd using Norton Ghost or some equivalent software.
    You may need a USB to SATA connector in order to transfer the files. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ssd+sata+to+usb+cable&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=71392637570&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15504160437371661481&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_11dgtg870x_b

The chances are that the laptop will run fine after the ssd upgrade, so you might get away with doing a cleanup rather than a full wipe (use CCleaner or equivalent software). This will allow you keep office. If you still need to do a full reinstall, then just note down the product key (there is software to find it from the HD if they don't have it handy) so just reinstall and reactivate.

If you need to reinstall, do look at ninite.com in order to reinstall all the common applications from a single installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I changed my laptop storage from hard disk to SSD a year or two ago, it was no bother at all. I bought a Samsung SSD and it came with cloning software. I installed the software on the computer, connected the SSD by the USB port (the SSD came with the cable to do this), the software copied the OS, drivers, files etc to the SSD and then it was just a case of swapping the two devices. No bother at all, so check that the SSD's you buy include cloning software and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

What brand and model are the laptops?
    You may be able to swap the dvd/cd drive for an SSD which will allow you to keep the mechanical hard drives.
    You can get a caddy which holds the SSD in place in the DVD/CD drive slot.

This is a good choice if you tend not use physical media ie DVDs or CDs, as you can use a smaller SSD for the OS and key programs and use the mechanical drive for file storage and less important programs.

I would guess that if a laptop has multiple users like in a school a 250 gig SSD would fill up quickly

You can always buy an single external dvd drive for occasional use.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Jo Satan wrote: »
    What brand and model are the laptops?
    You may be able to swap the dvd/cd drive for an SSD which will allow you to keep the mechanical hard drives.
    You can get a caddy which holds the SSD in place in the DVD/CD drive slot.

This is a good choice if you tend not use physical media ie DVDs or CDs, as you can use a smaller SSD for the OS and key programs and use the mechanical drive for file storage and less important programs.

I would guess that if a laptop has multiple users like in a school a 250 gig SSD would fill up quickly

You can always buy an single external dvd drive for occasional use.

Thanks folks.
    Great info on the Samsung clone method.

Laptops are all different so case but case me thinks. Will look at a few options.
    They do have a network also for storage.
    Could also get caddys for odd HD too for storage purposes.

Appreciate it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Sconsey wrote: »
    I changed my laptop storage from hard disk to SSD a year or two ago, it was no bother at all. I bought a Samsung SSD and it came with cloning software. I installed the software on the computer, connected the SSD by the USB port (the SSD came with the cable to do this), the software copied the OS, drivers, files etc to the SSD and then it was just a case of swapping the two devices. No bother at all, so check that the SSD's you buy include cloning software and you should be grand.

I was going to mention this - OP you would only need to get one SSD with the cloning software and cable, the remainder can just be SSDs on their own, because you can re-use the cable and software with the others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I second memoryc, just pop them an email with a list of what you require and tell them what its for you might get a little discount too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its usually not very cost efficient to upgrade anything older then 5 years in terms of laptops. Their processors usually don't hold up to the test of time and their design leads to higher component failure then desktops.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Its usually not very cost efficient to upgrade anything older then 5 years in terms of laptops. Their processors usually don't hold up to the test of time and their design leads to higher component failure then desktops.

Read and understood but they don't have the funds for 15+ replacements.

Q - if I am just doing a software rebuild on some of them (due to cash restraints) and I get the Office key - can I dl office from ms website and just reactivate that way ?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

karltimber wrote: »
    Read and understood but they don't have the funds for 15+ replacements.

Q - if I am just doing a software rebuild on some of them (due to cash restraints) and I get the Office key - can I dl office from ms website and just reactivate that way ?

Thx

As long as you grab the same version, yep.

MDL keep images too AFAIK from the days when MS refused to publish ISOs.

Advertisement