Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tickets and Travel for Wales v Ireland in Cardiff

Options
  • 29-06-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into going to Wales v Ireland in Cardiff on March 10th next year.

At the moment it seems to be a bit early to book a ferry but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions on taking the ferry over for anyone who has done this in the past.

Also wondering how one would go about getting tickets for this. I take it they are hard to come by. Can they be bought from the WRU?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Bump!

So after further investigation it seems the only chance of tickets is using the ballot as a WRU supporters club member or paying over the odds. I guess even if one were to sign up to the WRU supporters club the chance of a ticket is still slim.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/principalitystadium/CustomerNotice/Details/3?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

You could try Killester Travel for their package or leave it til late in the day and ask have they tickets left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

mossy464 wrote: »
    Bump!

So after further investigation it seems the only chance of tickets is using the ballot as a WRU supporters club member or paying over the odds. I guess even if one were to sign up to the WRU supporters club the chance of a ticket is still slim.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/principalitystadium/CustomerNotice/Details/3?

I've joined the Welsh supporters club for this very reason. I've never done it before (cost £53 iirc) but I've been informed that even though it's not guaranteed, the chances of getting some sort of a ticket are actually fairly high.
    Also gonna try to get to Wales v England in Cardiff on 11th of Feb as I'm at it. I've been assured that's a great weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMC83

I invested in this trip myself.. Not cheap! But its something my dad had wanted to do for years and I wanted to take him this year as he is getting a little older. I booked it all in August I think. The biggest issue is the tickets, which are like gold dust.
    The IRFU supporters club will have an allocation and do a trip which is usually same day return, flights and tickets included. I'm not sure how this will work this yeah though, as the match is 8 on a friday, so any flight back would be very late (and may not suit the elderly). I talked to them a few times and they wont let the tickets go unless you are buying the package.

Anyway in the end I decided to bite the bullet and pay over the odds on viagogo, I got a set for 150 a piece, which allthough expensive was still cheaper then my word cup ticket, and I am happy enough with it for a once off.
    Cardiff hotels are notorious for hiking up prices on match day, nearly everything I looked at was booked out or too expensive, but got eventually found a room down by the port for a reasonable price. I know people who have just got a cab from newport though, 30/40 quid.

Airlingus had flights in on friday mornin gand out on sat afternoon, I think they were around 180 return when I booked them.

If you are looking at going, you would really want to be booking now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

PMC83 wrote: »
    I invested in this trip myself.. Not cheap! But its something my dad had wanted to do for years and I wanted to take him this year as he is getting a little older. I booked it all in August I think. The biggest issue is the tickets, which are like gold dust.
    The IRFU supporters club will have an allocation and do a trip which is usually same day return, flights and tickets included. I'm not sure how this will work this yeah though, as the match is 8 on a friday, so any flight back would be very late (and may not suit the elderly). I talked to them a few times and they wont let the tickets go unless you are buying the package.

Anyway in the end I decided to bite the bullet and pay over the odds on viagogo, I got a set for 150 a piece, which allthough expensive was still cheaper then my word cup ticket, and I am happy enough with it for a once off.
    Cardiff hotels are notorious for hiking up prices on match day, nearly everything I looked at was booked out or too expensive, but got eventually found a room down by the port for a reasonable price. I know people who have just got a cab from newport though, 30/40 quid.

Airlingus had flights in on friday mornin gand out on sat afternoon, I think they were around 180 return when I booked them.

If you are looking at going, you would really want to be booking now...

Cheers, yeah I've been looking at the various options. Tickets would be the big worry though. I'll have to weigh it up and make a decision soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cardiff is arguably the worst city in the world when it comes to accommodation for match days. Even if you have no ticket the smart move is to book a room now and they still are going to be really hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Cardiff is arguably the worst city in the world when it comes to accommodation for match days. Even if you have no ticket the smart move is to book a room now and they still are going to be really hard to get.

Airbnb...never been let down with it for Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

40 minutes on the train from Bristol. Just an idea. That's what my dad did a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dovies wrote: »
    40 minutes on the train from Bristol. Just an idea. That's what my dad did a couple of years ago

A lot of people do that as well. It works out well for them but at the loss of the overall weekend match buzz.

Advertisement