Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting psychriatric help without the family finding out plus a medical card question

Options
  • 29-06-2016 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm experiencing long-term mental problems (approximately 3 years), and I have decided to get help because things are starting to get a bit out of hand. However, I don't want my family to find out about it. Never. Next year I will be studying in college far away from home and I was thinking about getting help in the city i'll be studying in. I am wondering, since i am a medical card owner, will my medical card cover it? Or do medical cards only cover visits that are done in the city i actually live in and have the card registered? I mean, the whole "family doctor" thing. Or would it cover the visit in other cities/with other doctors as well?

(Just to clarify- i'm over 18.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Your medical card will cover it. Doesn't matter what county you're in.

Would you not consider getting some support from your family, especially since you are moving to a new county, a lot of isolation I'd assume

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You will have to ask your GP to refer you to the mental health services. Treatment there is free of charge.

Have a look at the Sticky on Finding a Psychologist/Counsellor/Psychotherapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Iwantmoney

You will have to ask your GP to refer you to the mental health services. Treatment there is free of charge.

Have a look at the Sticky on Finding a Psychologist/Counsellor/Psychotherapist.

Will I have to go to my actual gp in my current city (By gp i mean family doctor?) for him to refer me to the mental health services? Or would an ordinary doctor in the city where i want to get help be able to refer me there as well on the medical card?

Iwantmoney wrote: »
    Will I have to go to my actual gp in my current city (By gp i mean family doctor?) for him to refer me to the mental health services? Or would an ordinary doctor in the city where i want to get help be able to refer me there as well on the medical card?

Most colleges have free/discounted GPs and free student counselling, that would be a good place to start. Waiting lists for counselling from the HSE can be very long so it might be worthwhile checking out counselling in college while also getting a psychiatric referral from a college GP if they think that's what you need.

Best of luck OP.

You have to be registered with a doctor to use the medical card. So piratequeen's advice about using the Student Medical Service is excellent.

Your family doctor/GP - the one you are already registered with - can also help, and is sworn to confidentiality anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Iwantmoney

What is the average waiting time? If i'll go to a GP and tell him about everything, how long will they make me wait? I'm planning to go to a doctor at the end of this month, but if they'll tell me i have to wait 2-3 months, this will be too hard for me

It depends where you are, but a new patient assessment in the HSE shouldn't be longer than 2-3 weeks, once the referral is received.

You can go to any GP for a referral, but you'd have to pay for the consultation UNLESS you're registered with the GP under the medical card scheme, OR you attend your college doctor.

Advertisement