Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting psychriatric help without the family finding out

Options
  • 29-06-2016 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm experiencing long-term mental problems (approximately 3 years), and I have decided to get help because things are starting to get a bit out of hand. However, I don't want my family to find out about it. Never. Next year I will be studying in college far away from home and I was thinking about getting help in the city i'll be studying in. I am wondering, since i am a medical card owner, will my medical card cover it? Or do medical cards only cover visits that are done in the city i actually live in and have the card registered? I mean, the whole "family doctor" thing. Or would it cover the visit in other cities/with other doctors as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffeeandtea

I'm not sure.....maybe citizens advice would know what your entitled too....good for you , though being proactive and independent. ...I'm not really familiar with how public health service works.....I think if it's depression or anxiety I think you will put on waiting list and then get to see someone... (might be long wait)....if it's more serious bi polar or scizophrenia...I think it's psychiatrists and meds....you seem high functioning so I don't know if you want to go down that route.....if you are in distress though your university should have a counselling service ...though there typically a bit under resourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Just one question. If you have serious and ongoing psychiatric issues, do you really think your family don't know that?

You wouldn't ask to have your therapy kept secret if you had bad guts or joint pain; I don't understand why people are ashamed of getting treatment for bad brain chemicals too. Get the help in whatever way you can, any way you can. Life is much too short to go around with a brain that sabotages you.

Coffeeandtea's suggestions are good. Go to a GP out of your own area if you need to in order to get a referral; they understand. Consider calling the Samaritans; they are there for any crisis, not just suicide, they know how to get meaningful help, and will know what resources are available to you. Tell them just what you told us; they would love the opportunity to help before things "get out of hand".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Wasn't this question asked and answered in your previous thread? JC

You might find Personal Issues a more appropriate forum to ask any other questions.

Advertisement