Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some help over exam problem.

• 29-06-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

I am just hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on my current situation.

I had a serious personal situation which arose during the first semester of college this year. As a result I missed quite a number of weeks of college. I was encouraged to sit the exams at Christmas and advised my situation would be taken into account and if I needed i could complete elements of continuous assessment i missed after the exams. Under extreme stress I completed the exams and passed them all bar one which I got a mark of 36. I was hoping that if allowed to sit the continuous element of the module worth 30% I could bring this up over a pass. I have documented and supplied all the relevant extenuating circumstances forms and supporting evidence.

I talked to my lecturer about the relevant result. Rather than completing the CA element of the subject a solution was reached were the exam mark would be given as my CA mark so the overall mark of 36 would be given. I was happy with this as if I passed everything else I could compensate it and pass the year overall. He advised that it was the exam board would need to approve this but he was happy as the exam result was far more representative of the ability in the subject.

Fast forward to now and the exam board have rejected the idea to have the CA element given as my exam mark. So I now have no CA mark. Worst of all the subject is category 1 which means original CA mark is used for the resit calculation which means even in the repeat I need to get 60%+ to compensate for the fact I have no mark in the 30% weighted CA element.

So despite having very serious extenuating circumstances. I have been afforded no option to resit the CA. I have no option to resit it during the summer. The solution agreed with the lecture of the subject was rejected. I thought the purpose of extenuating circumstances was to help students but instead I now have now been given a massively difficult task of having to get 60%+ just to pass in a very difficult subject.

My personal circumstances have deteriorated even further and this is causing me extreme distress at a time when I could really do without the added stress.

Can I appeal the decision or can I make a complaint to a body in the college to help with my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clodagh_b

Sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time, & congratulations on achieving the results you did given the circumstances you have outlined.

I would contact the education officer within your student union for further advice. Emailing the head of department & relevant lecturers again might also be worthwhile I would think.

Best of luck. Having been reassured by your lecturer that things would work out, it seems very unfair that your situation has played out in the way that it has.

Advertisement