Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing homes

Options
  • 28-06-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Admins remove if in wrong thread.
    I am looking after my mother who is starting to progress into the late stage of Alzheimers. I live in North Dublin but not from here and am not here a long time I would not be familiar with some areas of North Dublin. I need to start doing some research into nursing homes before it gets to late but I dont have any reccommendations. I dont want them named here but if anyone knew of good ones that do lots of activities as my Mother is quite sociable. I live in the D5 area and don't drive so I wouldnt be able to get out to Swords or further I dont have family here so I would be grateful if people knew of good recommendations and could pm me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

I am also looking for a nursing home in the D14/D16/D24 area for my mother. Must be one that provides activities/stimulation for someone with advanced dementia who would not be able to participate in a lot of the more common nursing home activities (bingo, baking, etc). I am basically looking for a nursing home that is run during the day along the lines of an Alzheimer's Day Centre, i.e. a place of constant activity and stimulation. A high staffing to resident ratio (1 to 3) is essential. Also looking for a nursing home where the staff use a bit of initiative. For example, my mother is currently in a chair for 10 hrs a day. She gets stiff but no one thinks of standing her up or breaking up the periods of time she is in the chair with allowing her to lie on the sofa, etc to relieve the stiffness. She gets distressed as the day goes on because she is sore and no one does anything. Pls feel free to PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I'm presuming that both of the people above are under the care of a geriatrician (if not, get under their care...)

Talk to your geriatrician and ask for a care needs assessment. A social worker will be assigned and will help to source an appropriate nursing home placement, and will organise the fair deal scheme if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yes when my Mam moved up to Dublin to live with me I got the public health nurse involved and she is under the Geriatritan in Beaumont/Raheny hospital there is a new public health nurse in the area and personal situations have changed so I have an appt with her to come round to the house next week to have a check on Mam and see what is best long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

So going to start looking at some this Spring if anyone knows of any good recommendations the amount in the north Dublin area is a bit overwhelming I have never done this before and looking round myself if anyone could offer a pm on ones either good or bad thanks as I would only be able to look at a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

miss choc wrote: »
    So going to start looking at some this Spring if anyone knows of any good recommendations the amount in the north Dublin area is a bit overwhelming I have never done this before and looking round myself if anyone could offer a pm on ones either good or bad thanks as I would only be able to look at a handful.

I would recommend St Doolaghs, it's near Swords and has a bus service right to the door. They cater for people who have had brain injuries but I think they take alzheimers patients too, I've heard it's top notch there

• Advertisement
Advertisement