Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for software dev & website design

Options
  • 28-06-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, I need a good desktop for software development. Nothing with flashing lights or loud fans as it'll be left on all the time for remote access. Just need a reliable work horse that'll be reliable for a few years.

Currently use a year old HP elitebook G1 with i3 and 8gb ram but its feeling to pressure now when compiling. Ill still use that for remote working.

Id prefer new or custom build but ill consider good second hand machines also.

thanks

1. What is your budget? [€800 - 1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Software development / website design / Photoshop / InDesign]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Not in a rush]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [no help needed]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6500 €200
    B150 board €75
    300w PSU €60
    Case €100
    16gb DDR4 €80

I'd say an ITX build would be suitable here, so the case and board budgets are a bit high.

I've no idea what your storage needs are, or whether SSDs are useful for what you want so I've left all that absent, there's €300 left over anyways so you should have loads to cover you.

Also not sure if its worth jumping to an i7 if you've been using a mobile i3 for a while, the i5 will be a good bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

thanks, ive just realised the laptop has an i5 processor so i bought a 240gb ssd and 16gb ram off amazon for €150. it was a cheap upgrade and it fi it doesnt work ill have a good back up machine.

Advertisement