Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most read newspaper in Claremorris area?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I need to put an acknowledgment in a local paper after a family death. However, not sure which paper to choose - Western People, Connaught Telegraph or Mayo News. Which would have the widest circulation in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Sorry to hear of your loss, lecky1

I am a blow-in to the Claremorris area but I've been here over a decade now.
    I know that Michael Commins, the broadcaster/journalist has a big local following in general and he was formerly in the Western People and I suspect a good number of readers followed him as they were loyal to his local pieces (as well as music/GAA/sport and stories of local lore in this part of Mayo and further afield).

He also has a gift for writing very nice obituaries.
    So my guess would be that Mayo News has the wider readership in South East Mayo bearing that in mind.
    There would, of course be still a fair few buying the Western or indeed both papers.

The smaller format is also very convenient.
    I am not in any way connected with either paper or the media - just an observation based on being here 10+yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lecky1

ifconfig: thanks for that. A member of the family made the same point you did about the Mayo News. And the smaller format is nice.

Bought the three papers today and compared them. The Western had more family notices than the other two also more acknowledgments than the other two, but talking small numbers - I think it was two in Mayo News (both Achill deaths), three in Connaught Telegraph (none of those Claremorris) and five in the Western (of which two were local to Claremorris). So think we'll go with the Western.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Western People was always the traditionally stronger of the 3 in the Claremorris area if I recall correctly.

Just had a look at last weeks Mayo News and most obituaries/remembrances are from the west Mayo region.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

lecky1 wrote: »
    ifconfig: thanks for that. A member of the family made the same point you did about the Mayo News. And the smaller format is nice.

Bought the three papers today and compared them. The Western had more family notices than the other two also more acknowledgments than the other two, but talking small numbers - I think it was two in Mayo News (both Achill deaths), three in Connaught Telegraph (none of those Claremorris) and five in the Western (of which two were local to Claremorris). So think we'll go with the Western.

A quick call to the funeral director or even a local shop would confirm that.
    I would have said the Western myself. They used to have an office in Claremorris which would suggest a bit of a stronghold. I don't think it would be miles ahead of the Connaught though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Western used to have an office in Claremorris and a dedicated Claremorris correspondent, not sure if thats still the case. Telegraph is more a Castlebar based paper, News is West Mayo while i think the Western has broader county wide appeal. btw Michael Commons is with the Mayo News and afaik was never with the Western people, was with the now defunct Western Journal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement