Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-clearance in Dublin Airport or what?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I got back from a little holiday in Canada and since this was my first time going there from Dublin, I was wondering if this happens to everyone or just me.

I was waiting at the gate for my turn to board the plane, at Dublin Airport Terminal 2. When Aer Lingus starts boarding all the remaining rows, I line up with my boarding pass and passport. I noticed that before having your passport and boarding pass scanned, 4-5 people were checking people's documents and were released after one or two questions max.

I think yeah easy, just show your passport and go on like everyone else. But no, the guy keeps me there and starts asking questions for 5 full minutes or more. Questions like what I'm doing in Ireland (I'm not Irish, only EU citizen), why I'm going to Canada. I don't mind this but then he started asking some more personal questions like where I worked, how much money I had on me, how much money is in my bank account, if I'm an Irish resident or not. He made me took my phone and look for bills and emails to show him I was an Irish resident. My residency was apparently an issue that concerned him a lot. I quit my job (in Dublin) only days before travelling to become a freelancer after my holidays, and this made him extremely suspicious about who-knows-what. The job thing came up because he was asking me to provide something to show him about my current interests in Ireland, like my employment contract or whatever I could find.

While answering these questions I checked his badge since I didn't know what was going on and he was simply a DAA employee. I was not comfortable at all disclosing all this information right there with people standing next to me. Is this normal? What is this? It can't be Canadian pre-clearance since I'm pretty sure there isn't one and it wouldn't be done while queueing at a gate.

Once in Canada I just said I was there for a 7-day holiday and I was good to go in 10 seconds.

At the end I don't really mind all this, but it really caught me by surprise, and if I knew I had to prove something first I would have been more prepared than I was. I only had the minimum documents to enter Canada and that's about it, didn't know that leaving Dublin required something.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Same happened me in the queue for the check in desk. A woman working for the airline started asking me all those questions and I stopped her for a second asking what was going on and she said it was for security reasons?

This was travelling via America using American Airlines. I didn't know if she was chatting me or being pure nice or what at the start asking me what I work at but the questions got a bit too much for my liking. Wouldn't care if it was made known before hand or was an actual border agent!

Probably to weed people out before landing in America or Canada from trying to move illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

All US airlines perform those security questions at check in, i believe it's a requirement from US Gov. It's done from a security/terrorism point of view. They place a coloured sticker on your passport once complete, you won't be allowed board unless you have this sticker (which is tracked on the boarding system as well).

Not familiar with Canadian flight procedures though, so can't comment on OP's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Quitting a job right before flying to the US = major red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I know about the US, but this was Canada. I got a sticker on the passport as well at the end so I guess it's the same, but done while queueing up. Thing is, if they say something one would come with house letting contract, bills, car registration, and whatever it's necessary to convince them one's not trying to go live there and has a life in Ireland, it would have been easier. Also in the US they either do that at the pre-clearance or directly there at immigration. No one asked me anything in Canada and in Dublin it was simply a DAA employee.

Oh well, I guess I know what to do next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Yeah I went a few weeks ago, and for the first time I was interrogated by some DAA employee working the check in desks. To clarify, we aren't talking about the guys that do the checks when you're standing in line, but the check in agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It's just to ensure (as best they can) that you will be admitted to Canada when you land, as the airlines face fines if you are refused entry at the border. Usually they are not DAA employees but from a group like G4S. I've had similar experience boarding flights to Canada at Heathrow.

Canada now has a system similar to ESTA called eTA, which is what the airlines will use to verify that you are admissible to Canada in future (you should get one if you plan to visit Canada again).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

It's just to ensure (as best they can) that you will be admitted to Canada when you land, as the airlines face fines if you are refused entry at the border. Usually they are not DAA employees but from a group like G4S. I've had similar experience boarding flights to Canada at Heathrow.

Canada now has a system similar to ESTA called eTA, which is what the airlines will use to verify that you are admissible to Canada in future (you should get one if you plan to visit Canada again).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

I got the eTA! Waste of money since right now it's not even mandatory (I know it will be eventually).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

I had a similar experience with a DAA employee that had a real power trip. I had not even checked in it was just some employee at the que to the check in desk. I was going on honeymoon and My passport has a small crack in the picture page and he made a massive deal about it calling his supervisor and trying his hardest to not allow me use the passport. He was a right dick.

Now I must stress that I have and do travel for work every couple of weeks to many countries all over the world US, OZ Canada etc. I have never had anyone question this tiny little crack.

Sometimes a little power gets to some people's head.

I used to be the question guy.

Chill, answer the Qs, you'll be fine.

Keep in mind it's the early summer season, all these security companies would have hired a new crop of questioners. Until they learn the lay of the land, they'll dot the Is and cross the Ts and make sure they do everything to the letter and more. The rich, the poor, the smart, the dumb, they all get asked or have a chance of getting asked. I used to introduce myself by saying "Congratulations, you've won the lottery! Just, the wrong one...".

Forget your final destination. Doesn't matter a bean. What's the destination of the flight you're boarding? If it's the US, expect questions & searches. If it's Canada, expect questions.

Advertisement