Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all ATX boards compatible with all ATX PC cases?

Options
  • 28-06-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey all,

I know this might seem like a newbie question (and it probably is), but I want to be sure that I'm right. I'm upgrading my PC, but keeping my current PC case (Lian-Li Lancool PC-K63). The motherboard I've chosen is the Gigabyte Intel Z170 Gaming K3.
    I know, again, newbie question, but these are compatible, right? Just need to make sure. :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yes.

X case will work with X board, where:

X = ATX, mATX (Micro-ATX), ITX (mITX, Mini-ITX), E-ATX (Extended-ATX).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Arhur_Dayne

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yes.

X case will work with X board, where:

X = ATX, mATX (Micro-ATX), ITX (mITX, Mini-ITX), E-ATX (Extended-ATX).

Alright, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Also, the bigger cases usually have holes for all the smaller board types.
    i.e. An ATX case will hold an mATX, uATX, (and probably ITX types but I'd need to google that).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ATX mounts are standardised, so any case from this family will fit equivalent and smaller boards (E-ATX > ATX > mATX > ITX). ATX and mATX use the same six mounts, and ITX-based boards use the top four of them.

BTX and DTX usually use similar mounts but no guarantees; they also have different case requirements due to their odd sizes and the "back-to-front" orientation of BTX. Mercifully they're all rare as hen's teeth nowadays.

Advertisement