Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etsy shops

Options
  • 28-06-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. Just wondering I can ask those who have etsy shops a few questions?
    Do you find you still make a worthwhile profit after paying fees or are there any other sites worth looking at to sell handmade things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

The advantage of etsy is that it's the first stop for buying crafts for a lot of people, and it's good for making international sales, but that also means your shop can get lost among the crowd. I think the fees are pretty reasonable if you factor them in to your pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MadeInCavan

Etsys charges high or low is relevant to the profit you are making on what you are selling....if you are a hobbyist and making for fun and selling just to cover your costs the charge is high possibly, the other issue with hobbyists is their selling price is set to cover costs and not to make money and the resulting low price effects the other crafters selling on Etsy who are operating as a business and produce I hope a higher end product and therefore should be able to charge a higher price and by doing so the Etsy charge are in fact very good value for money.....

Its all about the margin:-)

Only my opinion

R

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've been on etsy for a few years but amazon is starting to look more attractive.

I sell a niche product so there are only 2 other sellers with similar product on etsy.

etsy have introduced this option called pattern and I was caught up in a glitch in their systems that wiped out 2 months of profit, I'm still trying to sort it out.

pricing is the key to success on etsy, (just like anywhere else) but there loads of help available for costings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MadeInCavan

do you have your own website, I have but was thinking of Pattern just for US/Etsy sales.....have you got yours working as yet?

I have applied for Amazon Handmade just waiting to see if I am accepted....

Have you any other sites working for you outside of Etsy??
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't have my own site.

I have Facebook, just a normal page and Adverts shop.

It's an odd situation, I get most of my sales from my posters which I have in hospitals. It's a baby related product.

Etsy is handy for processing payments. I have the links to the products on my Facebook page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement