Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones Season 6 Soundtrack

Options
  • 27-06-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone on Spotify, the Season 6 soundtrack is up there now.

The standout pieces of music from the finale are there - track 3 (Light of the Seven) and track 19 (The Winds of Winter).

Ramin Djawadi is a genius.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7bBlW6L9r3ICFkbf2WRDXL

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Have to say, much as there were some great pieces of music in the finale, I thought the use of them was terrible.

Shows develop aesthetics over time. The cinematography, sets, costumes, CGI, sound mix, editing, grading, all build a consistent aesthetic that becomes familiar and defines the shows identity. Music, and it's use, it's another huge contributor to that.

In this episode, they largely abandoned the established musical aesthetic of the show, and it was incredibly jarring. Kept taking me out of what was going on.

Really poorly judged imo, regardless of how good the pieces are in and of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

i loved the music from the dragon scene last week(ep9) was really epic whats that one called

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Something about the Light of the Seven track reminds me of Davy Jones theme in the Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

biggebruv wrote: »
    i loved the music from the dragon scene last week(ep9) was really epic whats that one called

Reign

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

fitz wrote: »
    Have to say, much as there were some great pieces of music in the finale, I thought the use of them was terrible.

Shows develop aesthetics over time. The cinematography, sets, costumes, CGI, sound mix, editing, grading, all build a consistent aesthetic that becomes familiar and defines the shows identity. Music, and it's use, it's another huge contributor to that.

In this episode, they largely abandoned the established musical aesthetic of the show, and it was incredibly jarring. Kept taking me out of what was going on.

Really poorly judged imo, regardless of how good the pieces are in and of themselves.
    Completely disagree.

Thought the music was wonderful and very well placed. I saw someone make the comment elsewhere that the music felt oddly placed considering how the series has previously been scored, but that was the point. It signified that everything was going wrong and that everything was about to change. And the tension it created in evoking that was fantastic. Really outstanding work, I thought.

• Advertisement

Jasnah wrote: »
    Completely disagree.

Thought the music was wonderful and very well placed. I saw someone make the comment elsewhere that the music felt oddly placed considering how the series has previously been scored, but that was the point. It signified that everything was going wrong and that everything was about to change. And the tension it created in evoking that was fantastic. Really outstanding work, I thought.

Entirely possible to do that without leaving the musical framework you've established. It might be more difficult than just going for an entirely new thing, but at least it would remain consistent. The music in this episode drew too much attention to itself, on a show that has never used music that way.
    If it was to signify change, it was a compositionally lazy way of doing it.
    I'm not saying the music itself isn't wonderful, btw.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

fitz wrote: »
    Entirely possible to do that without leaving the musical framework you've established..

How did you react to the odd choice of an Irish country rock song that played over the credits when Jaimie had his hand trouble several seasons ago? I found that very jarring and it took me out of the moment.

Jarring too, wasn't a fan.
    Though I'm far less concerned with music over the credits.
    In-episode score is usually fairly consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wp_rathead wrote: »

Really good read.
    Wish they'd gone with the harp!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

wp_rathead wrote: »

Great read. Nice to have an insight like that.

I love the track Hear Me Roar as well. The combination of The Rains of Castamere and the strings from Light of the Seven is quite powerful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ixoy wrote: »
    How did you react to the odd choice of an Irish country rock song that played over the credits when Jaimie had his hand trouble several seasons ago? I found that very jarring and it took me out of the moment.
    That nearly caused me to fall off my chair considering I had headphones on and volume up a little too high

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've always enjoyed the music throughout the show, but they stepped it up a huge Wun-Wun-sized notch for the last episode. Light of the Seven, Winter has come and The Winds of Winter were truly fantastic bits of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

I've just listened to the Season 6 soundtrack in full this morning and have to say that is a stand out piece of work. It is a definite cut above the previous seasons' efforts which, like most soundtrack albums, have many pieces that don't really stand on their own two feet outside the show/film. Nearly everything here will bear repeated listening, however.The fact that most of the tracks are at least three minutes and they are accompanying lots of major reveals and events in this season does lend itself to more epic, robust compositions (and no bloody 'songs').

The improved fortunes for the Starks means their theme, my favourite from the series, returns to more frequent and full flourished outings not really heard since Season 1. The Rains of Castamere theme, which I disliked and was used excessively for so much Lannister scheming in the last few seasons has been usurped by the fantastic new "Light of the Seven". "Coronation" flirts with Batman territory but I don't think Hans Zimmer will sue. "Maester" is the music for Sam's arrival at Oldtown and the reveal of the The Citadel's library. It's longer than I remember the scene being so wondering if something ended up on the cutting room floor there. Melisandre's theme, previously just very by-the-numbers spooky music, gets its best use yet in "The Red Woman". Several pieces for Dany's storyline also stand out - love the choice of "Reign" as the title for the Battle of Mereen music!

Safe to say my Music of Thrones playlist is about to double in size.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I just got it today and on a first listen it comes across really well. Helps that there's regular motifs I recognise but the Light of the Seven is phenomenal.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goldenshark

Light of the Seven is just wonderful

Advertisement