Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Node JS vs Python vs PHP

Options
  • 27-06-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Recently started playing around with Node JS and Express on a backend of a small app and am finding it much easier. What's everyones opinions Node JS vs Python vs PHP... I know there are an absolute ton of backend languages but thought i'd concentrate on these and get some discussion going around the topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Tiobe's list shows that Java and C are by far the most popular languages. However, I'm seeing more usage of Node as a backend recently, with very, very little Python or PHP. The move is towards "serverless" programming models, where the server side provides REST services and the front end handles all the dynamics of the GUI. So if you're looking to build some forward-looking programming skills, try Node with React,js, GraphQL and Apollo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you're only starting into Node now I would suggest you look at Koa as your web framework. It was created by the same people responsible for the Express framework, but it's forward looking with generator functions instead of callbacks.

Advertisement