Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alko hitch- friction pads issue

Options
  • 27-06-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Something wrong with the stabiliser section of my AlKo caravan towbar. It keeps breaking the friction pads. Started about 2 years ago when after a good bit of squeeking one broke. I replaced the pair & one broke again last year. Just replaced the pair again & on our first trip out over the weekend, there's a lot of squeeking/noise coming from pads so only a matter of time before one breaks again. Am I doing something wrong. The seem to be just a push fit.

1220755.jpg

THanks,

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

Something wrong with the stabiliser section of my AlKo caravan towbar. It keeps breaking the friction pads. Started about 2 years ago when after a good bit of squeeking one broke. I replaced the pair & one broke again last year. Just replaced the pair again & on our first trip out over the weekend, there's a lot of squeeking/noise coming from pads so only a matter of time before one breaks again. Am I doing something wrong. The seem to be just a push fit.

1220755.jpg

THanks,

Tim

Is the ball clean of rust paint grease no wear / flat spots etc. Are they genuine pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks, CrabbyPaddy

Pads are genuine. Ball is free of grease but maybe a bit rusty/rough. Will attack it with the sandpaper today & see how it is when we tow at the weekend.

Thanks,

T.

Thanks, CrabbyPaddy

Pads are genuine. Ball is free of grease but maybe a bit rusty/rough. Will attack it with the sandpaper today & see how it is when we tow at the weekend.

Thanks,

T.
    If there's rust / paint transferred to the pads you'd want to sand them too

I have a shiny silver ball now:P. Pads also sanded & clean. Will update call after weekend to see how it goes.

Thanks,

T,

I have a shiny silver ball now:P.

Suits you sir :pac: Good luck, hopefully sorted.

Was wondering did a previous owner put shim washers that you reused with the new pads it would be too tight.

Alko says the usual cause for broken pads is:
    "This usually happens when the pads have not been fully disengaged before dropping the stabiliser onto the towball. You will need to replace the friction pad with a new one. To avoid this in future always place, rather than drop, the stabiliser onto the towball, and check the stabiliser handle is as far up as it will go first."

• Advertisement

Sanding the tow ball helped a bit. Not as bad but still squeeking a good bit. Doesn't look like there are any shims left there from previous owner. Is there any adjustment to reduce pressure a bit. Seems to take quite a bit of effort to push the arm down to engage the stabiliser.

T.

Advertisement