Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games any "True" gamer should have played

Options
  • 27-06-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So, for the first time, i have yesterday played Portal 2. What the hell was i doing leaving it off this late.
    My brain hurts, but its a good hurt.

What games do you think are those seminal "must play games" ? Games taht define/d the best in their genre etc.

I'll start: Black & White, Morrowwind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hi all,

So, for the first time, i have yesterday played Portal 2. What the hell was i doing leaving it off this late.
    My brain hurts, but its a good hurt.

What games do you think are those seminal "must play games" ? Games taht define/d the best in their genre etc.

I'll start: Black & White, Morrowwind.

When I think of that sort of question, or when someone asks me my favourite game, Max Payne always jumps straight in there. I actually have the third game but never installed it. But 1 & 2 were excellent. They are on steam at the moment for like €3, so will pick them up again. Have my CD drive disconnected in PC.

Deus Ex was another that I thought was groundbreaking at the time of playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mass Effect.
    Civilization (5 is probably the best, but it's personal preference. I like 2).
    Total War (again, Shogun 2 is probably the best, but aside from Attilla, they're all great).

Three off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Any Pokemon game from generations I to III

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

RianF2 wrote: »
    Any Pokemon game from generations I to III

Hi, welcome to the PC forum. :)

I'd say Doom (1993) has to be on this list.

System Shock 1 & 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jedi Knight
    X wing v tie fighter
    FF7
    Unreal Tournament
    Half Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pacman. Space invaders. Asteroids. Frogger. Donkey kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Super Metriod & Unreal Tournament, for me.

So many memories....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

endacl wrote: »
    Pacman. Space invaders. Asteroids. Frogger. Donkey kong.

Tetris,pong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Half Life 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dcully wrote: »
    Half Life 1 and 2

I have a PC Gamer friend who has still yet to play either of the Half Lifes, nor Portals. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Strange somehow, because I would be inclined to say "Elite" which I spent countless hours on in my childhood.

Only thing is the modern reboot, elite dangerous, is objectively a much "better" game, but it is not really an essential game. I guess Elite was important because it was groundbreaking at the time, but now it is a pretty ordinary game.

Others to mention:

X-wing v Tie Fighter, Thrust, Paradroid, Doom, Doom 3, Deus Ex, Minecraft, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Ultima online, World of Warcraft, Fallout franchise.

I am looking forward to star citizen if it lives up to the promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Doom
    Half Life
    Civ
    The Curse of Monkey Island
    Deus Ex
    Command & Conquer
    Oblivion/Skyrim
    City Skylines
    Fallout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm not too fond of the phrase "true gamer" as different things appeal to different folks, even the classics. For my own part, i'd suggest Deus Ex, Daggerfall, Morrowind, System Shock 1+2, Jedi Outcast, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl and Age of Empirs II: Age of Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm very surprised you're the first to mention AGE2, tut tut lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mr E wrote: »
    Hi, welcome to the PC forum. :)

GBA Emulator. That is all.
    I'm not too fond of the phrase "true gamer" as different things appeal to different folks, even the classics. For my own part, i'd suggest Deus Ex, Daggerfall, Morrowind, System Shock 1+2, Jedi Outcast, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl and Age of Empirs II: Age of Kings.

Case in point - I've played 1 of those.

Maybe it was unfortunate but Skyrim was my first foray into TES and I can't say it made me regret missing out on the other ones.

As far as I can tell Bethesda RPGs are underdeveloped, sterile garbage.

For my money, it's Worms. The 2d sort, of course. Probably Worms: Armageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That's the problem with these threads, you easily forget some Of The classics!! Like Age of Empires. What a great game.

Also very fond of the original Empire Earth. Playing that in college on LAN, games would go on for hours. Amazing game.

Also forget games likes Grim Fadingo, Xcom, Homeworld, day Of The tentacle, Myst, Rome, total war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
    Oregon Trail

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dcully wrote: »
    Half Life 1 and 2

I'm ashamed to admit it, I have been playing on PC since the late 80's (Amstrad CPC 464) and moved onto actual PC's about 92, but I have never played a full Half Life game.

I completely missed Half Life on it's release as I'd just gotten my hands on FF7 and never ever played it.

The worst part is I have both games on my Steam account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manuelpr039

Super Mario World :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I completely missed Half Life on it's release as I'd just gotten my hands on FF7 and never ever played it.

The worst part is I have both games on my Steam account.

Try Black Mesa as it is a very good update for the first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Skerries wrote: »
    Try Black Mesa as it is a very good update for the first one

I have it :(

I promise I'll play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Gbear wrote: »
    GBA Emulator. That is all.

zoGKTNh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Some classics:
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Monkey Island: LeChuck's Revenge
    Prince of Persia (The original, not the more recent ones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

I hate the phrase but objectively speaking it would be games that appeal to the wider audience while still remaining true to their play, story, franchise etc.

For that I would pick generic ones like
    GTA
    MORTAL KOMBAT
    MINE CRAFT
    HALO2
    BIOSHOCK
    METAL GEAR SOLID etc.

However for me personally it's tetris, pong, sonic (the original) Street fighter 2, half life, portal, fifa (pre 2005), Ridge racer (arcade anyone?) Pacman, doom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

My choices are multiplayer focused thanks to a local LAN centre (office space really): 1998's Starsiege Tribes & Delta Force.

Both were ahead of the curve, with traits that are now the mainstay of the modern FPS. Multiple game modes, large scale maps, various loadout options, to name a few.

Loved Tribes' fast paced combat and with three weight classes, a selection of vehicles, deployables, jetpacks (yay!!), and the spinfusor/disc launcher (that weapon was a classic in it's own right). It was also the first game I recall that allowed modding.

Delta Force was a more considered, military shooter, which also had a co-op option and (to me) the daddy to the modern soldier sim.

Oh, and that one map on Codename Eagle, bonkers but fun. WW1 shooter anyone?

Btw, doesn't make me a "true" gamer, just an old one. Now gramps must get to bed...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess this thread is more like "if there were penguin classics for video-games what titles would you include".

Medal of Honor Allied Assault was pretty important to me, and would lead to Call Of Duty and Battlefield for better or worse.

Sim city classic, rush hour and then cities skylines are all classics that contributed to that genre.

A personal selection would be Commandos Behind Enemy lines. I pumped hours into it as a kid. Loved it. Tech has moved on, and left that style of video-game behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Diablo 2
    AOE II
    Carmageddon 2
    Worms 2

It was a golden age....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wololo....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Half Life 1 & 2
    Deus Ex - still my favourite single player of all time and multiplayer was great fun...invisibility, silence and throwing knives ftw :D
    Age of Empires 1 +2..remembering laughing at the little people throwing spears at the mammoth :D
    Jedi Knight
    Soldier of Fortune 1 + 2--awesome crack in multiplayer
    BF1942
    UT2004
    Halo
    Metal Gear Solid
    Resident Evil 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

starcraft 1 and 2
    AOE 2
    League of legends