Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Bass Guitar & Amp Pack from gear4music.

Options
  • 27-06-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

At my ripe old age I want to take up bass guitar again (beginner). I was looking at this starter package on gear4music for €156.00. I was looking at a few posts about gear4music and they seem okay to deal with but is this package okay or better to get a half decent guitar and amp separately?

Gear4music Bass

TMZUQPR.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You're always better off getting a better instrument second hand. It'll keep most of the value you've paid for it if you chose to sell it, and it'll be a much better instrument that one that comes as part of that kit.

Then for amplification, I like the little Vox plugin devices that you plug headphones into. Great for quiet practice, and sound better than the little bass practice amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

Agree you'd be much better off getting a better brand used
    e.g. fender squire precision for around 100notes. You may even get a case with it.
    Lefties are harder to find, but do exist.

You can also plug it into most hifi's or radios that have a 'line-in' facility (as long as it has woofer speakers to handle all the extra bass).
    Or for another 50 notes can probably get a wee 20w bass amp, ideally with a 'compressor/limiter' built in to even out the sound.

Small multi-bass effect pedals (zoom etc) also go for around 40 used and will have more effects than you'd ever need.

All three above +case might even be a possibility for 160.

Slightly cheaper than fender squires are things like westwoods, tanglewoods etc, all good for beginners.
    Avoid encores and staggs brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

These are probably the best value basses on the market
    Ive owned one and they are very well built easliy on par with the Squier standard range

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_jb_75lh_na_vintage_series.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mamased Nokuowt

At my ripe old age I want to take up bass guitar again (beginner). I was looking at this starter package on gear4music for €156.00. I was looking at a few posts about gear4music and they seem okay to deal with but is this package okay or better to get a half decent guitar and amp separately?

Not sure what your ripe old age is, but I started playing last May at 42 and it was one of the best things I've ever done. If you're still looking for a couple cents worth of thought, I'd go to a music shop, probably a couple of them, and take a few different basses for a drive. If there's a decent sales person who plays they can help you find something that's going to fit you and your budget. I didn't want to make a huge investment in case I got frustrated and quit (because I know myself) so I started off with a Squier P-Bass starter kit and it was a good way to get started, but I was right back at the shop within a month picking up an Ibanez that felt better in my hands and still only cost around 300. It's rare that a shop won't help you find your way - I think everyone likes seeing someone make the decision to start playing or return to it.

An inexpensive bass doesn't have to be cheap, and you can pick up a 10 or 15 watt bass amp for not too much either that will still give you plenty of sound.

Don't know if that helps at all, but I do hope you find the one that makes your hair stand on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

A couple of hours after I posted this I just went ahead and ordered the guitar & amp pack above. I'm happy enough with it and it's a good start. I'm left-handed and that limits me a bit locally. I started lessons last week and it went okay and I've been doing a bit over the weekend checking on some Youtube videos. I should have the Hal Leonard book in the post tomorrow too.

I'm the same in that I didn't want to spend too much and give up after a few hours/days of trying. As I said, happy enough with this as a start then hopefully progress on to something really tasty... Maybe treat myself for Christmas. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mamased Nokuowt

Great! YouTube is a godsend - another one you might check out is jamplay.com - really comprehensive tutorial site. Cheers...and have a happy Christmas!

Advertisement