Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naughton Scholarship

Options
  • 26-06-2016 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Did anyone else apply for this and not get an email back? I filled it in 3/4 days before the initial closing date and I only realised now that I was meant to get an automatic email back so I'm stressing out to say the least as I reckon I have a chance😐 I definitely submitted the application but I'm really worried now. I emailed them and I got no reply, does anybody have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

Hey! Just wondering did you hear anything back from them? have they announced the winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shligonian

Haven't heard anything yet, waiting patiently after the email that said 12th of September

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

Ah okay, neither have I

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Slojo01

Anyone mind me asking how many points you got? My son applied for this, hasn't heard anything from them, thought he would hear something yesterday. Did anyone go for an interview or get a call? He didn't get the pints he wanted so it's a long shot lol

** pints lol points

Anyone please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Im on this scholarship and just got emailed about the awards ceremony and they attached a list of this years students so Id assume theyve contacted the students about the schol by now. 35 were awarded in the whole country and Dublin was included for the first time this year so Id say the competition was fierce this year.

Thanks for that. Yes my son got the email yesterday but unfortunately didn't make it. He had 585 points, it's a pity but I'm delighted for those who got them, well deserved 🍾🎊🎉

Slojo01 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yes my son got the email yesterday but unfortunately didn't make it. He had 585 points, it's a pity but I'm delighted for those who got them, well deserved 🍾🎊🎉

Its not only based off of points, they make a big point of that; the rest of the application is very heavily weighted in the decision.

Best of luck with your studies and thanks for your reply. My son is really looking forward to starting his course in trinity next week, it just means he will have to get a part time job which is tough when your trying to study :):)

Slojo01 wrote: »
    Best of luck with your studies and thanks for your reply. My son is really looking forward to starting his course in trinity next week, it just means he will have to get a part time job which is tough when your trying to study :):)

I have this schol and a second one from UCD, and still have to work two part time jobs to feed myself, most students end up working one way or another! best of luck to you son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 BenMc

Sorry to interfere with the main focus of this thread, but I have a question for Aleatorio. To clarify, can a student receive both a UCD academic scholarship and a naughton scholarship? I'm just wondering as on the naughton foundation website the terms and conditions mention that in some cases multiple scholarship recipients may be ineligible for the naughton scholarship. Thanks for any reply, I'd appreciate it a lot.

I have heard of a few people getting the susi grant and handing it back when they got the naughton scholarship. I suppose naughton scholarship is a private scholarship And it's an international scholarship or something?

BenMc wrote: »
    Sorry to interfere with the main focus of this thread, but I have a question for Aleatorio. To clarify, can a student receive both a UCD academic scholarship and a naughton scholarship? I'm just wondering as on the naughton foundation website the terms and conditions mention that in some cases multiple scholarship recipients may be ineligible for the naughton scholarship. Thanks for any reply, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Yeah I mentioned it to the Naughtons on the phone when I was offered the scholarship and they had no problem with it, though this could be because at the time the scholarship wasn't money it was a reduction in fees by 50%. So I guess they fell into separate categories of scholarships if that makes sense? Now the ad Astra schol is 3k money so I'm not sure about that anymore. I knew another girl the same as me so it was definitely ok. Best to email them if you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BenMc

Okay, that's grand. Thanks for the replies, they were pretty helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Does anyone know if everyone has to do an interview in the summer or if it is only a select few?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

ciara18 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if everyone has to do an interview in the summer or if it is only a select few?

Just bumping this up - also interested to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ire21

Just bumping this up - also interested to know

I don't know if they interview people at all anymore. I got the scholarship and was not interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zeba03

Does anyone know what questions are asked in The Naughton Foundation scholarship application? I am thinking of applying for it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Zeba03 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what questions are asked in The Naughton Foundation scholarship application? I am thinking of applying for it this year.

I'm a recipient of the scholarship, and as far as I know, interviews are not a common occurence. I haven't met anyone who had an interview and during the awards ceremony they told us about the selection procedure, so it seems to be wholly based on the application! Maybe they would interview if they really had too many candidates on the exact same level and needed to choose but haven't heard of it happening yet

I'm a recipient of the scholarship, and as far as I know, interviews are not a common occurence. I haven't met anyone who had an interview and during the awards ceremony they told us about the selection procedure, so it seems to be wholly based on the application! Maybe they would interview if they really had too many candidates on the exact same level and needed to choose but haven't heard of it happening yet
    Congrats on the scholarship! How many points did you achieve? Thanks for the information. But I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask in the Online Application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Zeba03 wrote: »
    Congrats on the scholarship! How many points did you achieve? Thanks for the information. But I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask in the Online Application.

apologies, I misread the question! I got 613 points. There were 4 questions in the online application for last year- the first asked for your extra-curricular interests/achievements- STEM, sporting, volunteering, etc. Obviously I would imagine that the STEM achievements would give you an edge but a lot of people wrote about their sporting or music achievements so I'd imagine that anything that shows your tenacity or dedication would be perfect. The second asked about why you wanted to do your chosen degree- why you're passionate about the subject you've chosen and how you've displayed this passion. The third asks for your future aspirations (career and otherwise...I think it was something along the lines of where you see yourself in 10 years maybe?) and the fourth asks how the scholarship will be of benefit to you.

Just found a word doc with last year's exact questions after I typed out the above:
    1. Please detail any non-academic pursuits and achievements including sporting and voluntary activities and other interests.
    2. Please provide a statement detailing information you believe to be relevant to your application. The statement should explain why you are choosing to study your chosen course.
    3. What do you hope or imagine you might be doing ten years after you leave college?
    4. Please explain how a Naughton Scholarship would be of benefit to you during your studies and in the future.

All answers are min 100 words and max 100.

The application also asks for a referee contact information, your top 4 CAO/UCAS choices, as well as basic personal info. Best of luck with it, feel free to get in contact if you need any advice or have any questions :)

apologies, I misread the question! I got 613 points. There were 4 questions in the online application for last year- the first asked for your extra-curricular interests/achievements- STEM, sporting, volunteering, etc. Obviously I would imagine that the STEM achievements would give you an edge but a lot of people wrote about their sporting or music achievements so I'd imagine that anything that shows your tenacity or dedication would be perfect. The second asked about why you wanted to do your chosen degree- why you're passionate about the subject you've chosen and how you've displayed this passion. The third asks for your future aspirations (career and otherwise...I think it was something along the lines of where you see yourself in 10 years maybe?) and the fourth asks how the scholarship will be of benefit to you.

Just found a word doc with last year's exact questions after I typed out the above:
    1. Please detail any non-academic pursuits and achievements including sporting and voluntary activities and other interests.
    2. Please provide a statement detailing information you believe to be relevant to your application. The statement should explain why you are choosing to study your chosen course.
    3. What do you hope or imagine you might be doing ten years after you leave college?
    4. Please explain how a Naughton Scholarship would be of benefit to you during your studies and in the future.

All answers are min 100 words and max 100.

The application also asks for a referee contact information, your top 4 CAO/UCAS choices, as well as basic personal info. Best of luck with it, feel free to get in contact if you need any advice or have any questions :)
    Thanks for this. Very helpful. Thanks!

Advertisement