Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly need a new laptop - please help

Options
  • 26-06-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So, I badly need a new laptop. I'm typing this on a laptop, but using a television as a monitor.

The reason I need help with getting a new one is because I bought a Toshiba one before and it was f*cking horrendous, so I need an expert's opinion.

I like my current one but the screen is banjaxed, so I'll give you the specs on this and perhaps you could tell me how much I'd be looking at getting a new one with at least similar qualities.

FYI: I don't need it for gaming or anything; just work, which involves a lot of internet use so web pages need to open sharpish, and can't be slowed down by videos etc.

Cheers guys.

SPECS BELOW:

Processor: Celeron (R) Dual-core CPU, T3500 @ 2.10 Ghz 2.09 Ghz
    Installed memory (RAM) 4.00GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I presume your budget is in the 500~ range?

The laptop you have is probably 5 years old at this stage and it would have been a relatively cheap laptop when you bought it, so it's a had a decent run, even if it sounds like it hasn't been the greatest machine in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

No no, it's served me well. Any problems I've had were self inflicted to be fair - including the latest one, which occurred when I took it apart to clean the fan and then broke the ribbon for the monitor (I think).

Anyhow, I don't have a budget, but yes I'd like to spend as little as possible. Newer doesn't mean better in my experience - that Toshiba was way newer but nowhere near as efficient

Also, what do you lads think about refurbished models sold in those laptop repair places? There's a bloke in Dun Laoghaire who seems a nice, honest chap. That's not to say he wouldn't take advantage of my naivety, because he would I suspect, but I think he'd sort me out with a decent machine for a decent price. I don't care about brand new.

Hi guys,

Need an answer on this urgently!

Could you tell me whether the specs on this laptop are better than the specs I mentioned earlier in the thread?

Intel (r) Core (TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40 Ghz 2.40 ghz

4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)
    64 bit operating system

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Need an answer on this urgently!

Could you tell me whether the specs on this laptop are better than the specs I mentioned earlier in the thread?

4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)
    64 bit operating system

What laptop is it? Make and model please?

The spec looks old to me. That processor is from 2010...

4GB is really bottom of the barrel RAM these days. More is preferred.

• Advertisement

Thanks mate. I never got that laptop in the end, but I'm back in the market and need more advice.

Can anyone with knowledge compare the specs on this Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with my Dell Vostro specs? I want to be absolutely certain that I'm getting an upgrade.

Dell Inspiron

-Intel® Core® i5-5200U Processor
    -Dual-core
    -2.2 GHz / 2.7 GHz (Turbo Boost)
    -3 MB
    Memory (RAM)
    8 GB DDRL3
    Storage
    1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm

Vostro

4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)
    64 bit operating system

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Thanks mate. I never got that laptop in the end, but I'm back in the market and need more advice.

Can anyone with knowledge compare the specs on this Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with my Dell Vostro specs? I want to be absolutely certain that I'm getting an upgrade.

Dell Inspiron

-Intel® Core® i5-5200U Processor
    -Dual-core
    -2.2 GHz / 2.7 GHz (Turbo Boost)
    -3 MB
    Memory (RAM)
    8 GB DDRL3
    Storage
    1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm

Vostro

4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)
    64 bit operating system

Skip the Vostro.

The Inspiron looks fine. It'll be more than enough for videos, web and office work.

I'm just nervous about spending the money really, without being uncertain. As I said, I've made this mistake before so I'm terrified of doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭josha1

How much is the inspiron/what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Storage
    1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm

That's a decent size , but slow drive.
    If you don't need the space, you'd be better off with a 7200 rpm drive, it probably wouldnt affect the price too much, or you could drop the capacity to compensate.

An ssd would give the best performance, but would be small/ increase costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The vostro is a 1st gen i3 from around 2010 worth around €120.

The Inspiron is a modern 5th gen i5 from 2015.

I've gone for Inspiron with a 6th gen and i7. The video card is AMD R5 M335 Graphics - is this better than Intel 45 Express Chipset Family WDDM 1.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Infinitely. What you're talking about is intel integrated graphics from sometime around 2009 or so.

The R5 M335 is a low end graphics card and realistically not really faster than modern Intel onboard graphics, so it's entirely redundant and used as a selling point to hook people in.

But feature wise, it's a huge advancement on the old Intel chipset you've mentioned.

Your man said it was better, yes, but I've grown awfully cynical of people who sell computers for a living so I was keen to make sure.

Cheers.

Advertisement