Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card

Options
  • 26-06-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Not sure if in correct section but thinking of applying for passport card for travel to uk..

Any ideas on whether it was be accepted since they have left the eu?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

They haven't left the EU yet. It won't happen for at least two years, if ever.

Why not use your passport for travel? I can't see any good reason for getting a passport card as you need a passport to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

maximum12 wrote: »
    They haven't left the EU yet. It won't happen for at least two years, if ever.

Why not use your passport for travel? I can't see any good reason for getting a passport card as you need a passport to get one.

Because it fits in your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just for putting into wallet, handier than the normal passport,

ted1 wrote: »
    Because it fits in your wallet.

I did say good reason. Paying 35 quid to have a "lite" version of your passport fit in your wallet is not a good reason IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was going to write a long post explaining everything about Brexit but can't be arsed.

Go ahead and apply OP, it'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can't see any good reason for getting a passport card as you need a passport to get one.

The company that I work for has projects in China, Middle East, US etc... This means that passports have to be sent to various embassys as part of an application for a work visa. Frequently this takes a number of weeks to process. Possessing a passport card means that it is still possible to travel within the EU while the passport itself is with an embassy being processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

2011 wrote: »
    The company that I work for has projects in China, Middle East, US etc... This means that passports have to be sent to embassy's for work visas. Frequently this takes a number of weeks to process. Possessing a passport card means that it is still possible to travel within the EU while the passport itself is with an embassy being processed.

Plus I'd imagine 18 year olds can carry it in their wallet when they go on the piss :)

I think it'd be handy. I have been in loads of countries where you're required to carry identification. Usually I carry a photo copy of my passport and leave the passport in my room, this would be easier.

Grayson wrote: »
    Plus I'd imagine 18 year olds can carry it in their wallet when they go on the piss :)

I think it'd be handy. I have been in loads of countries where you're required to carry identification. Usually I carry a photo copy of my passport and leave the passport in my room, this would be easier.

Yeah the new driving license probably takes care of that for most adults.

Makes sense for the postal visas alright.

Maybe they should just issue these automatically with the regular passport. Would seem a lot more efficient and cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

2011 wrote: »
    The company that I work for has projects in China, Middle East, US etc... This means that passports have to be sent to various embassys as part of an application for a work visa. Frequently this takes a number of weeks to process. Possessing a passport card means that it is still possible to travel within the EU while the passport itself is with an embassy being processed.

AFAIK you're entitled to a second passport book if you need it for work, eg flight crew?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

AFAIK you're entitled to a second passport book if you need it for work, eg flight crew?

Possibly, I don't know.
    But for €35 its a simple option that works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Also a credit card drivers license would also be very handy,,,mine has six years left to run...as far as I know you can only apply for the credit card sized one if u lose the bigger one,,,,which seems crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I did say good reason. Paying 35 quid to have a "lite" version of your passport fit in your wallet is not a good reason IMO.

Seems like a good reason to me. If you cant afford it its a different story maybe. Nice to be able to leave the passport behind in the hotel and have the card with you when away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

35 quid, about 35 mins pay, well worth the convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because it fits in your wallet and you don't need to bother lugging a huge passport when traveling within the EU / EEA, very handy. If you travel regularly its well worth the 35 quid imo.

I'm having a Little Britain moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't drive and I go to the States a fair bit so it's worth it for me just to not have to carry my actual passport around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I don't drive and I go to the States a fair bit so it's worth it for me just to not have to carry my actual passport around.

I think it's only valid for EU travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I think it's only valid for EU travel.

Talking bout bars, pain in the hoop carrying your passport in your pocket the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Talking bout bars, pain in the hoop carrying your passport in your pocket the whole time.

Ah, gotcha now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Also a credit card drivers license would also be very handy,,,mine has six years left to run...as far as I know you can only apply for the credit card sized one if u lose the bigger one,,,,which seems crazy

Or if any of your details change, ie. Name or address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

biko wrote: »
    I was going to write a long post explaining everything about Brexit but can't be arsed.

Go ahead and apply OP, it'll be fine.

Applying is fine....trying to find a passport photo which will be accepted is a horse of a different colour !!!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah, it's almost impossible to "lose" a driving license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

genericguy wrote: »
    35 quid, about 35 mins pay, well worth the convenience
    Worth having but I think the 35 euro is a bit of a rip off. It should be available for the cost of manufacturing the card. The pasport office has all the required information already, it should be a low overhead formality to issue a passport card.

The garda age card which requires verifying the applicant's id, date of birth and confirmation of address to be processed before it is issued only costs 10 euro.

I fail to see why the passport card cannot be issued for a similar fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Worth having but I think the 35 euro is a bit of a rip off. It should be available for the cost of manufacturing the card. The pasport office has all the required information already, it should be a low overhead formality to issue a passport card.

The garda age card which requires verifying the applicant's id, date of birth and confirmation of address to be processed before it is issued only costs 10 euro.

I fail to see why the passport card cannot be issued for a similar fee.

the passport card has security features added to it that the age card would not have. they cant just print them on an inkjet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yeah, it's almost impossible to "lose" a driving license.
    That requires a declaration and a Garda stamp.

A damaged licence doesn't. The old licence is paper on one side, it doesn't like washing machines. Or puddles. Or sinks full of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Or if any of your details change, ie. Name or address.

Yep I've 5 years left on mine but new address to go on so getting a new one because of that. There are a few reasons for applying - I'd check the website & see if you can fit in to any of them.

As for the passport card - I do see the benefits if you're travelling around the EU a bit for work. Just makes it a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Zombie thread warning!

Anyone know if these can be used in the e-gates at Heathrow?

Advertisement