Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time PC Build (€1500 - €2000)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Leave the 980 for a Rx 480, they're out next week.

Get a cheaper motherboard unless that one has specific features you want

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

It looks good to me, maybe just some small details;
    The GTX 1070 is out atm the moment, which outperforms the GTX 980 for around the same price. If you want GTX 980 performance, you can wait for Polaris 10 AIB models and overclock it, for cheaper.

You could definitely save some money on the Motherboard. The ASUS Z170-A Pro is only €140, and it offers all the same features.

What resolution monitor are you using? If you have a 1440p monitor, fire away, but if you only play 1080p, I suggest waiting for the RX 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bangadrum

Thanks for your input, you guys have more experience then I when it comes to these things I appreciate the help.

In the mean time I'll wait and see what the new AMD card is like. The 1070 is a no brainer replacement for the 980 for the price, thought it was more expensive. I've never been so happy to be wrong before.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    What resolution monitor are you using? If you have a 1440p monitor, fire away, but if you only play 1080p, I suggest waiting for the RX 480.

Funny thing, I don't have one yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can also drop the 750W for a 450W unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Processor, board, cpu cooler and ram are also all based completely on someone who will be overclocking.

You can get pretty much the same performance with a way cheaper Z170 or B170 board, a normal air-cooler like an Evo 212, DDR4-2133 ram and a 6700 non-k or equivalent Xeon.

If you're not willing to generously overclock there's about €250 being wasted. Also agree that a 750w setup is overkill, with a GTX1070 you'd be pulling about 300w with that setup.

Get a GTX1070 and a 1440P monitor, excellent combo and the 1440p is much better than 1080p for editing and productivity.

Processor, board, cpu cooler and ram are also all based completely on someone who will be overclocking.

You can get pretty much the same performance with a way cheaper Z170 or B170 board, a normal air-cooler like an Evo 212, DDR4-2133 ram and a 6700 non-k or equivalent Xeon.

If you're not willing to generously overclock there's about €250 being wasted. Also agree that a 750w setup is overkill, with a GTX1070 you'd be pulling about 300w with that setup.

Get a GTX1070 and a 1440P monitor, excellent combo and the 1440p is much better than 1080p for editing and productivity.

Do you reckon its worthwhile spending extra for a 1440p g-sync monitor also?

Not really. It adds a huge premium to a 1440p monitor. A good 144hz 1440p monitor would be ideal if funds allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Bangadrum wrote: »
    Do you reckon its worthwhile spending extra for a 1440p g-sync monitor also?

I'd swap the 980 for two 480's in xfire and get a high refresh free sync monitor. I have a SC 980 and it's awesome by the way. Thats the way i think i will go

I'd swap the 980 for two 480's in xfire and get a high refresh free sync monitor. I have a SC 980 and it's awesome by the way. Thats the way i think i will go

Thanks for your input. I'm waiting to see what the general reaction of AMD's RX 480 is like. I believe it's being released on Wednesday?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input. I'm waiting to see what the general reaction of AMD's RX 480 is like. I believe it's being released on Wednesday?

Yep, same here.

Advising 480 Crossfire isn't a great idea, great for synthetic benchmarks and some games, but not much fun when new releases don't support crossfire, or have broken support, meaning you're only using one card - and trust me this does happen a lot. This also applies to SLI, not just Crossfire, but AMD's drivers are usually slower than Nvidia's so problems tend to linger for longer.

Way better off with one strong card. I would stick with a single GTX1070 over any dual GPU configuration in the same price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Agree with Terror, stay well away from crossfire

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Also thats a very expensive case IMO. Its a full tower which is going to be very big. I'd be inclined to go midi tower and save some money. Corsair 450D or alot of their range looks very similar and are cheaper and smaller.

tazzzZ wrote: »
    Also thats a very expensive case IMO. Its a full tower which is going to be very big. I'd be inclined to go midi tower and save some money. Corsair 450D or alot of their range looks very similar and are cheaper and smaller.

Yeah, its a big case. I figured in the long run more space is greater than less space for when I upgrade in a few years but I get what you're saying.

Yeah, its a big case. I figured in the long run more space is greater than less space for when I upgrade in a few years but I get what you're saying.

Hi just to add to that, did you see the new one from in win? She's a beauty and so cheap :eek: https://www.caseking.de/in-win-303-midi-tower-weiss-geiw-094.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hi just to add to that, did you see the new one from in win? She's a beauty and so cheap :eek: https://www.caseking.de/in-win-303-midi-tower-weiss-geiw-094.html

Inwin make cracking stuff but tend to be focused to much on water cooling for my tastes.

Phantek's tempered glass range and the new Bequite 900 are making me want to upgrade my trusty HAF 932 :(

Venom wrote: »
    Inwin make cracking stuff but tend to be focused to much on water cooling for my tastes.

Phantek's tempered glass range and the new Bequite 900 are making me want to upgrade my trusty HAF 932 :(

A 360 aio would be tidy in the in win. I have a phanteks case myself, their built really well and feel quality. The tempered glass cases are just stunning, i'm thinking about a door mod on mine.

That's one aesthetically pleasing case. :D If only it wasn't white...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Advertisement
Advertisement