Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop advice needed for techo-dumbo!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm here!

Okay, sorry to hear about the Acer, that sucks that it's died after such a short time. As for your list.

Dell Inspiron 15: Not sure why you linked to the UK business site (exVAT), but I would avoid Ubuntu if you are not at least a bit techy. Stick with Windows 10. If you can afford one from the Irish site it would be a good option.

Medion: I wouldn't... poor build quality is what they're known for, it's been a few years since I've seen them around so I'm a bit surprised to see the brand.

Toshiba: This is essentially a netbook, which is an incredibly basic laptop only really meant for browsing online. It has very limited drive space, and is not suitable for video/photo storage.

Acer: Same as the toshiba, essentially this is only meant for internet use. I would avoid for a main machine.

So, I can only guess that you are on a very tight budget, but I think spending a bit more could get you the best machine which should last you longer than 2 years.

This one would be best at 449:
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3558-laptop/pd?oc=cn35812&model_id=inspiron-15-3558-laptop

This would be adequate for your needs 369:
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3552-laptop/pd?oc=cn55217&model_id=inspiron-15-3552-laptop

Even the cheaper option would be a lot better than any of the above I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Where'd you buy the Acer? I'd be looking at the retailer to repair it if it's a manufacturing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Where'd you buy the Acer? I'd be looking at the retailer to repair it if it's a manufacturing issue.

Can't remember. Will have to route through the old credit card bills to identify it.
    The repair shop said they pulled the laptop apart and couldn't find the problem so are assuming it must be the motherboard and not worth fixing.

They also said there was no fan inside the laptop even though there was a space for same which they though was odd!!!
    Don't know what to make of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

jay0109 wrote: »
    Can't remember. Will have to route through the old credit card bills to identify it.
    The repair shop said they pulled the laptop apart and couldn't find the problem so are assuming it must be the motherboard and not worth fixing.

They also said there was no fan inside the laptop even though there was a space for same which they though was odd!!!
    Don't know what to make of that

If it's a manufacturing fault Acer or the retailer should be repairing or replacing it free of charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement