Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band or no Band for marquee wedding

Options
  • 24-06-2016 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on whether a band is really needed or is a good DJ enough?

I've never been to a marquee wedding befor that had a band and I'm wondering is it really necessary, particularly for a marquee weddings! All opinions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Any ideas on whether a band is really needed or is a good DJ enough?

I've never been to a marquee wedding befor that had a band and I'm wondering is it really necessary, particularly for a marquee weddings! All opinions welcome :)

Its not whether its really needed its whether you want one, the fact its in a marquee doesnt matter. Ive done many over the years as part of band and dj and apart from some sound restrictions where houses are nearby theres no problem. Have you gone looking for a band or dj yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Noise isn't an issue - we've been told amps off by 3 and no subwuffers so I'm not worried about that.

I guess I just imagined the sound not being as good in a tent and it being a little too cosy for the guests.

Plus there's nothing worse then an awful band at a wedding considering how expensive they are - it just seems like such a risk. My OH wants a band so I'm trying to be open minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Noise isn't an issue - we've been told amps off by 3 and no subwuffers so I'm not worried about that.

I guess I just imagined the sound not being as good in a tent and it being a little too cosy for the guests.

Plus there's nothing worse then an awful band at a wedding considering how expensive they are - it just seems like such a risk. My OH wants a band so I'm trying to be open minded.

You are right, a bad band will ruin it on you but thats a different argument then should you have a band.
    Do your homework on the band and youll find a good one and while I know some Djs would argue, the opposite will be true that theres nothing better then a really great band.
    Theres no problem on sound levels, in fact it can be even better as you dont have sound bouncing back off walls.

I get the 3am thing but who told you no subwoofers? Thats not really something that make a lot of sense. you can have subs or bins and not have them loud and even then if I went in and someone said to me no subs I only have to press a button on my tops and its makes them full range and theyll put out the same sound (frequency ranges) that the subs would have anyway but thats still not sound level as you know it. Youd only know the difference there at really higher levels which you shouldnt have in a marquee.

A pro band will know where to keep the sound level.

You are right, a bad band will ruin it on you but thats a different argument then should you have a band.
    Do your homework on the band and youll find a good one and while I know some Djs would argue, the opposite will be true that theres nothing better then a really great band.
    Theres no problem on sound levels, in fact it can be even better as you dont have sound bouncing back off walls.

I get the 3am thing but who told you no subwoofers? Thats not really something that make a lot of sense. you can have subs or bins and not have them loud and even then if I went in and someone said to me no subs I only have to press a button on my tops and its makes them full range and theyll put out the same sound (frequency ranges) that the subs would have anyway but thats still not sound level as you know it. Youd only know the difference there at really higher levels which you shouldnt have in a marquee.

A pro band will know where to keep the sound level.

Apparently they upset the livestock, the tent will be beside a working farm - I don't know anything about sound systems, just know what I was told.

Would be interested in hearing back from guests, they're just such a big expense and so often forgetable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

A band do add a bit of pizazz to an event especially a good one..

We have been to two marquee weddings both had bands, and then one was a DJ after twas grand, the other was a playlist done up and it was great..

I always think if your in doubt, pick one of the other, Band or DJ/Playlist

If ye were to go for a band what kind are ye thinking of... You don't have to spend a fortune on a band, that all nonsense and wedding talk... You can pay anything form €500 upwards... Think about what kinda of music you would like and work from there

• Advertisement

I guess I'm just a little clueless on where to get a band for that kind of budget! All the bands that have been recommended to me are 2k+ :o

Well start with what type ye are looking for, Rock, Pop, Country .. Have a look at bands in yer area or look up some gigs, go along and ask then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janielane

I guess I'm just a little clueless on where to get a band for that kind of budget! All the bands that have been recommended to me are 2k+ :o

Milly33 wrote: »
    A band do add a bit of pizazz to an event especially a good one..

We have been to two marquee weddings both had bands, and then one was a DJ after twas grand, the other was a playlist done up and it was great..

I always think if your in doubt, pick one of the other, Band or DJ/Playlist

If ye were to go for a band what kind are ye thinking of... You don't have to spend a fortune on a band, that all nonsense and wedding talk... You can pay anything form 500 upwards... Think about what kinda of music you would like and work from there

tbh I would like to know where are the bands for 500 upwards because i have been quotes the same as champagnepop and I think 1500- 2000 + is a joke for 1 & 1/2 hours

lots of them out there, just need to source them. Go along to gigs, look for local musicians.. Lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If you want a professional service you have to pay, gamble with your banding band if you want to, but be aware of the risks your adding to the day.

I paid for a good band, thet have excellent reviews, so I'm taking a financial punch for security and peace of mind on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My local in a small town pays 500 for terrible bands. If you want something wedding standard itll cost you more than that Im afraid.

We spent 2200 on ours, including the dj after, and while it was astronomical it made the night. If cash is a consideration, better to get a good dj than a **** band

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Definitively a band, Ive never been to a wedding that didn't have a band and Ive been at too many! just 2 Marquee ones tho.
    Not trying to be rude but I would probably think its a bit "tight" not to have one being honest. Although I'm all on for people doing whatever they like on their wedding.

Just set up a play list for after and forget about a DJ most people will probably be merry by that stage anyway!

Try not to look for a "Wedding band" as their are priced the same as everything else wedding related in Ireland, ridiculously.

We asked a band we saw in a Pub one night who were excellent and were €1300 which isnt bad as Im sure you have found out during your searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

We are having a marquee wedding, and a few of our friends are going to play music for an hour or so (having lots of musicians friends is handy!). Then we have a playlist ready for a bit of music afterwards.

Regarding wedding band fees, I can see both sides. I seen someone say 1.5-2 hours for a wedding band but it's more like 6-8 hours. I played weddings in the past and we would sometimes travel for 1-3 hours, wait around, set up, play, take the gear down, drive home. So €200-300 per person is not extortionate. Saying that, we just aren't willing to fork out 2 grand for a band and luckily our friends volunteered. Same with a DJ, while I have nothing against DJ's I'm just not going to play some guy €300 to play songs for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

yupya1 wrote: »
    Definitively a band, Ive never been to a wedding that didn't have a band and Ive been at too many! just 2 Marquee ones tho.
    Not trying to be rude but I would probably think its a bit "tight" not to have one being honest. Although I'm all on for people doing whatever they like on their wedding.

The most recent wedding I've been to didn't have a band and nobody missed it. We're not having one either because I despise crap cover versions of songs, which invariably happen in any wedding band. But I want more of a night out on the tiles vibe and not many nightclubs etc have live bands.

I'd say go for whatever you want OP but don't assume you "have" to have one. Granted your fiancé might need convincing or you might need to compromise. Just don't think you have to have you. You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

pconn062 wrote: »
    We are having a marquee wedding, and a few of our friends are going to play music for an hour or so (having lots of musicians friends is handy!). Then we have a playlist ready for a bit of music afterwards.

Regarding wedding band fees, I can see both sides. I seen someone say 1.5-2 hours for a wedding band but it's more like 6-8 hours. I played weddings in the past and we would sometimes travel for 1-3 hours, wait around, set up, play, take the gear down, drive home. So €200-300 per person is not extortionate. Saying that, we just aren't willing to fork out 2 grand for a band and luckily our friends volunteered. Same with a DJ, while I have nothing against DJ's I'm just not going to play some guy €300 to play songs for 90 minutes.
    So the DJ doesn't have to travel to the venue, set up his gear, take it down and travel home? He just plays songs for 90 minutes?

All sounds so familiar, another one of those things OP that you just don't talk about..

Lots of good advice from both sides, but do whatever makes ye happen...Things like people will think your cheap for not having a band is a first for me never heard the likes of it, but you would be surprised at how people feel about other peoples weddings...

Milly33 wrote: »
    Things like people will think your cheap for not having a band is a first for me never heard the likes of it, but you would be surprised at how people feel about other peoples weddings...

And sure so what if there are decisions that have to be made for cost reasons? God knows I'm not having the ultimate wedding I want because the costs would end up astronomical! We're picking the elements we feel strongest about (outfits & photographer, we are VERY shallow people! :P) and then cutting back on crap we don't care too much about (no band, no toast during the meal because I'm buggered if I'm paying for a round of drinks for everyone when there's prosecco, mulled wine AND dinner wine for them!) to accommodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Been to countless weddings and can only remember 2 bands in all that time.

All anyone wants is a few drinks and good music to dance to.

They really won't care whether that is provided by a band or an ipod and a speaker.

Spend the money if you really really want one but don't be under any illusions that your guests will care.

They won't.

They just want to dance...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janielane

Swanner wrote: »
    Been to countless weddings and can only remember 2 bands in all that time.

All anyone wants is a few drinks and good music to dance to.

They really won't care whether that is provided by a band or an ipod and a speaker.

Spend the money if you really really want one but don't be under any illusions that your guests will care.

They won't.

They just want to dance...

thanks for this swanner! has made me feel alot better about my decision. i personally am not pushed about a band and i feel like people could be annoyed if we don't get one but ultimately i don't want people bitching and upsetting me!

janielane wrote: »
    thanks for this swanner! has made me feel alot better about my decision. i personally am not pushed about a band and i feel like people could be annoyed if we don't get one but ultimately i don't want people bitching and upsetting me!

I think we all have to come to terms with the fact that someone, somewhere, will bitch about something at our weddings. They just will, someone will moan about not doing this, or how could they do this, or whatever. Are they the ones paying? No. Are they the ones whose wedding it is? No. Stay strong! :P

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    So the DJ doesn't have to travel to the venue, set up his gear, take it down and travel home? He just plays songs for 90 minutes?

I also said (if you read my post) I wouldn't pay 2 grand for a band, even though I know how much work is involved with being in a wedding band, because as someone mentioned earlier, I don't want to hear cover versions of crap songs. A DJ has to travel too, but I'm still not going to pay €300 for the service to hear songs I don't want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

pconn062 wrote: »
    I also said (if you read my post) I wouldn't pay 2 grand for a band, even though I know how much work is involved with being in a wedding band, because as someone mentioned earlier, I don't want to hear cover versions of crap songs. A DJ has to travel too, but I'm still not going to pay €300 for the service to hear songs I don't want to hear.
    Pretty sure any DJ worth his salt will ask what songs you do/don't want and work out a playlist based on that.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Pretty sure any DJ worth his salt will ask what songs you do/don't want and work out a playlist based on that.

Probably and I have nothing against DJ's, but I'm still not going to pay for something I can do myself. Anyway, getting off topic here.

Advertisement