Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any problems with my first build?

Options
  • 24-06-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($191.19 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: AZIO MGK1 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
    Mouse: Zowie EC2-A Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: 4x 480 8 gb ($230.00)
    Total: $1112.49

1) Is there anything you would do differently?

2) Will this be able to run VR?

3) Will I be able to get all these parts in Ireland easily and if so where should I get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd get a Samsung SSD that's it.

It'll be VR ready.

I'd recommend buying from Amazon or mind factory, Irish store are always way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

woahthere wrote: »
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($191.19 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: AZIO MGK1 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
    Mouse: Zowie EC2-A Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: 4x 480 8 gb ($230.00)
    Total: $1112.49

1) Is there anything you would do differently?

2) Will this be able to run VR?

3) Will I be able to get all these parts in Ireland easily and if so where should I get them?

Just be warned you won't find those prices ANYWHERE outside of the USA, as we pay VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

are you gaming? Theres no graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woahthere

enya kenny wrote: »
    are you gaming? Theres no graphics card?
    the "other" part should have said GPU and the "4x 480" should be Rx 480, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Hi there, nice looking build.

1) Is there anything you would do differently?- Add another 480 for xfire

2) Will this be able to run VR? -Yes, but just about, i don't know if that experience would be worth it.

3) Will I be able to get all these parts in Ireland easily and if so where should I get them? Not in ireland but easily from europe or the uk

Best of luck with the build

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

2) Will this be able to run VR? -Yes, but just about, i don't know if that experience would be worth it.

3) Will I be able to get all these parts in Ireland easily and if so where should I get them? Not in ireland but easily from europe or the uk

I personally would advise to refrain from XFire for the moment, purely because of the current situation with games not supporting multiple GPUs effectively. Whilst they might perform better than things in synthetic benchmarks, you never see that performance in games.

Rather, I would wait to see how mGPU pans out. If AMD can push it's adoption quickly in the coming years(especially considering it's free and consoles use a form of mGPU already), XFire might be the best thing to happen for dual GPU set-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're recommending Xfire all over the forums but I cannot state enough that it's not a good idea.

Crossfire, or SLI, have countless issues with games - many games don't support it full stop, many games have issues with it, many games have terrible scaling even if they can support it.

If budget allows, a GTX1070 is a far safer, better bet than 480 crossfire.

Dual cards only really come into play if you've a few thousand to spend and no higher end cards are available eg. GTX1080 sli.

You're recommending Xfire all over the forums but I cannot state enough that it's not a good idea.

Crossfire, or SLI, have countless issues with games - many games don't support it full stop, many games have issues with it, many games have terrible scaling even if they can support it.

If budget allows, a GTX1070 is a far safer, better bet than 480 crossfire.

Dual cards only really come into play if you've a few thousand to spend and no higher end cards are available eg. GTX1080 sli.

You're recommending over priced non competitive GPU's all over the forums and i cannot state enough how damaging that is for price to performance gamers who make up about 90% of the market. lel sorry i couldn't help myself :) DX12 is changing the way we use GPU's including multi GPU's not to mention the benefit's to VR. I know VR is just for enthusiasts now but the industry moves rapidly. If i had 400euro to future proof myself for VR a GPU for each lens would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So essentially you're asking people to take a wild gamble on unproven - and historically incredibly unreliable - dual cards rather than a guaranteed, rock solid single card?

Yes, makes perfect sense....

You'd be making a bad choice. In 6 months we'll know whether you were right or wrong but given we don't even have reliable benchmarks for single card performance telling people that dual cards are the way to go is a terrible idea.

By all means go wild with your own rig but we have to set aside our own biases and hopeful speculations and look realistically and critically to help people get the best rig they can, with certainty for what they want.

• Advertisement

So essentially you're asking people to take a wild gamble on unproven - and historically incredibly unreliable - dual cards rather than a guaranteed, rock solid single card?

Yes, makes perfect sense....

I'm giving an opinion as is everybody else, is that not allowed? you're post count is impressive

You'd be making a bad choice. In 6 months we'll know whether you were right or wrong but given we don't even have reliable benchmarks for single card performance telling people that dual cards are the way to go is a terrible idea.

By all means go wild with your own rig but we have to set aside our own biases and hopeful speculations and look realistically and critically to help people get the best rig they can, with certainty for what they want.

you probably meant suggesting? i don't recall telling anyone to buy anything. the new AMD cards are being benched for the last few weeks and the results from reputable sources are looking good. :)

you probably meant suggesting? i don't recall telling anyone to buy anything. the new AMD cards are being benched for the last few weeks and the results from reputable sources are looking good. :)

Suggesting I will concede yes.

Are they? All Google gives me are foreign leaks that are debunked by locals in the comments as unreliable.

Are they? All Google gives me are foreign leaks that are debunked by locals in the comments as unreliable.

I have been following the news coming out of wccf tech for a few days now and they seem pretty happy with their source in asia. There's also a youtube video of the card on a bench but it's a bit hard to see whats happening there. http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-overclocked-1600mhz-cooler-detailed/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have been following the news coming out of wccf tech for a few days now and they seem pretty happy with their source in asia. There's also a youtube video of the card on a bench but it's a bit hard to see whats happening there. http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-overclocked-1600mhz-cooler-detailed/

https://imgur.com/a/us8Lq

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Unrelated, one bad piece of journalism doesn't take away from a good source of news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

A guy on Reddit who seems to be legit is claiming the RX 480 gives 980 level results with ingame benchmarks. He reckons day 1 drivers might up that score somewhat but from various tech sites who have broken down the cards specs, 980 level performance seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Unrelated, one bad piece of journalism doesn't take away from a good source of news.

WCCFtech is nothing more than a clickbait site 99% of the times.

Venom wrote: »
    WCCFtech is nothing more than a clickbait site 99% of the times.

ok? :rolleyes:

Venom wrote: »
    A guy on Reddit who seems to be legit is claiming the RX 480 gives 980 level results with ingame benchmarks. He reckons day 1 drivers might up that score somewhat but from various tech sites who have broken down the cards specs, 980 level performance seems about right.

A guy on Reddit doesn't land outside of the unreliable zone IMO anyways, I'll stick with my opinion that we don't have actual benches aside from '290 levels'

• Advertisement
Advertisement