Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity: Nanoscience. I don't do chemistry.

Options
  • 24-06-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I would like to do nanoscience in trinity but I have a major problem. I didn't do chemistry for leaving cert and it says on the website that "it is advisable to have a thorough grounding in chemistry". Will I be at a large disadvantage IF I get Nanoscience. Please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Edrees98 wrote: »
    I would like to do nanoscience in trinity but I have a major problem. I didn't do chemistry for leaving cert and it says on the website that "it is advisable to have a thorough grounding in chemistry". Will I be at a large disadvantage IF I get Nanoscience. Please help!!

You need two laboratory sciences for that course. Do you have two?

If so, then just watch some Khan Academy videos on Chemistry over the summer. If it's not a specific requirement I'm sure they'll teach you everything you need to know once you start!

Edit: Apologies a HC3 in Maths will suffice instead of a laboratory science, so as long as you get a HC3 in Maths and another HC3 in a lab science or applied maths you're fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You need two laboratory sciences for that course. Do you have two?

If so, then just watch some Khan Academy videos on Chemistry over the summer. If it's not a specific requirement I'm sure they'll teach you everything you need to know once you start!

Edit: Apologies a HC3 in Maths will suffice instead of a laboratory science, so as long as you get a HC3 in Maths and another HC3 in a lab science or applied maths you're fine :)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

If that's the course you want, I encourage you to go for it. There's a preliminary Chemistry course in Trinity for people who haven't done Chemistry for their Leaving Cert and I met someone there who was going to be doing Nanoscience. I heard that they move at a pretty quick pace but I believe that you're in with General Science for a lot of your lectures in the Junior years so you won't be the only one without a Chemistry background.

It's very doable. It just comes down to working hard. I tried to learn some Chemistry before going into college and I still found the lecture content really tough. Having said that, I managed to get the top Chemistry grade in my course in 1st year so it's definitely achievable if you put the work in.:)

By the way, I would recommend trying to learn as much Chemistry as you're willing to over the summer. You've had a long and difficult year, and you need a break, but a little bit of work goes a long way. The preliminary course isn't great but I would still recommend going to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Maybe pick yourself up a chemistry book and go through it a bit over summer, college chemistry is tough but not impossible either

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

My friend went into Nanoscience with only Physics and Biology (you need the two lab sciences!).

She said the Chemistry was tough and at times she felt it was rushed but if you put in the extra bit of work after lectures and use KhanAcademy and recommended texts, you'll be fine. Now, having a bit of a look over the LC Chem before you start in August might help you too.

I don't do the course but I came into college without Chemistry and ended up loving my Chemistry module and will keep it up as an elective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

You could do a short nanotechnology or chemistry course on Coursera if you're not in the mood for reading over the summer

Advertisement